Chapter 23

I looked over the abandoned building before I looked back to find Marcus coming closer to where I was standing. It looked like he was pretty pissed off that I just go up and left him at the table and took off but that was just the beginning of making him mad. We needed him to be the Marcus we saw that night after the party at Paisley. Now we were about to end our nightmares of Marcus ever coming back to do something crazy to us ever again. He came running up to me damn near out of breath but he clearly wore his anger on his face.

"Why the fuck did you just take off like that?!?!?" He asked me.

Since when did he ever worry about me running away from him? Any other time he would just come of nowhere and attack me when he knew nobody could come and save me.

"You made me mad and I wasn't standing for it so I left. Since when did you care anyway?" I asked looking him up and down as he was still panting like a dog.

"New leaf remember?"

"Yeah well back there wasn't signs of turning it over."

"Well I'm sorry Regan! I can't change overnight like you expect me to. It's a process."

"After what you just said to me back there yeah it definitely is."

"BITCH I-"

He stopped himself and calmed himself down. He must be doing some type of therapy because by now he would have attacked me. His eyes looked glassy as he began to speak.

"Regan. I'm sorry for what I've done and for what I've put you and your.....friends....through and I want to work on us. I have to. I don't want any bad blood between us. Will you forgive me? Please?"

I was a little surprised to hear him apologize and actually be serious about it but I still wasn't phased by any of it. He's done this before. However since I want him out of my life I had to play him like my now broken Atari.

"You know Marcus it's gonna be hard to believe what you're saying right now because this was how you tried to rape me. You give me your sad story and then when I say no you get mad and try to hurt me. I'm not playing this game with you anymore."

"Come on Regan please don't be like this I'm trying." Marcus said damn near begging.

"No Marcus! I need time to think this through. I don't want to try to fix this if it's all gonna go to shit like before!"

I turned and attempted to walk away when he forcefully grabbed my arm.

"Regan stop!" He shouted squeezing my wrist tighter.

"Let me go Marcus!" I shouted back to him trying to use my free hand to real was his grip.

"No! I can't let you leave me until you know that I'm sorry! Please!"

"Marcus I said let me go! Now!"

"No! Forgive me!"

"Marcus I said....LET.....GO!!!!"

Since he wouldn't let me go I just punched him square in his face. It worked because he finally let me go and let out a loud cry. I was in a frozen state of panic for a moment. I wasn't sure whether to run or just stand there. Since I couldn't feel my feet moving I just stood there. That same hit that I had given to Prince just a few months ago that was surely meant for Marcus had just happened. It felt damn good but at the same time I didn't want him to go and completely lose his mind before Prince and the others had a chance to get to where I was standing and intervene. Marcus just laid there for another few minutes. It seemed like forever. He didn't move. He didn't speak. He just laid there. Maybe I killed him? I was still in too much of a shock to try to move him or call him. Still I just stood and watched. Finally he moved. I took a few steps back to make sure I was able to make a getaway in the event he lunged at me from the hot concrete. His eyes met mine and just like that night he jumped out at me in the dorms his eyes were black. He was breathing heavily as he stared me down holding his face. I took another step or two back and slowly lifted my hands.

  "Marcus before you get crazy I didn't mean that." I lied knowing that I meant it with the deepest sincerity.

  "Regan? If you know what's good for you you'd run."

  "Now wait a second we can talk about this. I got scared that you were gonna hurt me. I-I didn't know what else to do! I panicked. I'm sorry!" I lied to him again trying to buy the guys more time to make an appearance.

  "You little bitch! You really hit me!" He said as he rubbed his face.

On the outside I showed him that I was scared to death but on the inside I could care less. Prince and Mo were ready just around the corner. I had nothing to worry about. That was until Marcus pulled a gun out on me. Then I had a little something to worry about. I don't remember this being apart of the plan. I kept my hands raised in the air and held completely still. In a calm tone I tried to convince him to put the gun down.

  "Marcus? Come on now you don't wanna do this? You know I have family that will come after you if something were to happen to me. My mama will be crushed." I pleaded.

This time my pleas were serious.

  "Stop talking!" He yelled as he waved the gun in my face.

  "Please! You don't wanna do this! I didn't mean to hit you! I don't know where it came from honest!" I lied again.

At this point I was willing to say anything just to keep him from pulling the trigger.

  "Why should I even believe you? You wouldn't forgive me for what I did but yet you want me to forgive you?"

The southern bloodline in me came out almost immediately.

  "Oh come on now stop being a pansy ass that wasn't even my best hit and for the shit you put me through I think ya earned that shit!"

Marcus didn't waist anytime letting a round off just past my face. The bullet flew just 10 feet away from me into the abandoned lot next to the old building. It made me flinch and I let out a yelp in fear. It wasn't long when I opened my eyes I heard a voice right behind me.

  "HEY!"

That familiar voice made everything ok again. Andre was standing behind me coming to my rescue.

  "It ain't cool to shoot at a woman dude. I thought ya mama taughtcha better than that." Andre said.

Marcus looked at Andre and laughed then ran up to me and grabbed me closer to him holding the gun to the side of my head.

  "She actually didn't but I won't mind shootin' this one." He said in a dark voice as he stared at me and Andre.

Now.....I'm afraid.