Chapter 27

Two weeks had passed at I was back at Paisley Park hanging out alone in one of the guest rooms. As I laid in the bed the warm August sun shines on me. Before I was able to get deep in thought there was a knock on the door.

  "Come in!" I said to the mystery person.

Prince peeked his head through the door with a smile on his face.

  "Hey! What are you doing in here by yourself?" He asked.

  "Just came in here to think that's all. I thought you were gonna finish getting ready for your tour?"

Prince came inside and closed the door then made his way to the bed and sat down beside me.

  "I have plenty of time for that. It's our last night together before you fly back to LA tomorrow morning. We should do something. Maybe have a going away party?"

The smile on Prince's face was so big it was almost animated. Prince was truly a party man. I couldn't say no.

  "Call Cat. Tell her to come and really do me up." I said to him with a grin.

  "I get to do you up afterwards right?" He giggled.

  "Must everything be a sexual innuendo with you?" I asked as I pushed him gently on his chest.

Prince grabbed on to my hand and held it close to his heart as his smile slowly faded. The joy that was once on his face was now sadness.

  "What's the matter?" I asked him.

  "Do you really have to go?" Prince asked looking down at my hand in his.

  "Skipper it's just a year. It'll be over before you know it! Besides by the time I graduate your tour will be over and you'll only have to wait what? Two weeks before we see each other again? And we can always call each other. Well you can call me. You know the number to my dorm. Just remember the no calls during midterms and finals week."

  "You are your study rules! Get a life why dontcha!" Prince joked.

  "See? Better already! There's the guy I grew up with!" I giggled.

He brought my hand to his lips and gently kissed it. We caught each other's gaze and smiled as the silence in the room surrounded us. His eyes drew me in. I couldn't stop staring at him. He couldn't stop staring at me. His free hand ran through my curly hair. A smile crepes slowly on his face as his fingers made their way through each strand. He took a deep breath and took his hand and ran it through my hair one more time a little slower.

  "I like your hair better this way." He whispered to me.

My head fell into his touch as his fingers had stopped just passed my ear.

  "Oh Skipper. Don't do this. Don't make it so hard for me to leave you." I whispered back to him as his fingertips softly grazed my cheek.

I felt my eyes well with tears of sadness. I never wanted to leave him this way. I expected our goodbye to be just like any other before our summer romance began. Our joking banter back and forth about who was smarter and what was the best part about spending the summers together when I came home from college. My mom would have us all over at my house for a big dinner and at the end we would have a huge triple chocolate cake. Prince and I would spend the last night together looking over pictures of our childhood and fall asleep in my treehouse. Then he would stay until my cab picked me up and sped me away to the airport. Now it wasn't that at all. This goodbye was going to be hard for the both of us. The nights we spent in each other's arms. The late nights talking about our future together. The love making until dawn. Our multiple break up to make ups. The night he took me to the top of the hill overlooking Chanhassen. All of that will now be nothing but memories of what was until we see each other again in the following spring. As I looked at his face the tears began to fall. I tried to fight it but my emotions took me over. I wanted to talk to him but I couldn't say anything but his name.