Chapter 10

My mom stood at the end of Andre's bed waiting for someone to start explaining why Andre was really in the hospital. Her eyes were fixed on my but we all felt like we had just been caught with our hands in the cookie jar before dinner.

"So nobody wants to fess up huh?" My mom asked as she still peered into my soul.

"Mrs. Jenson please don't get the switch on us ma'am. We didn't cause any real harm. It was Marcus." Jerome said.

"Tricky shut up!" Dez replied through his teeth.

My mom closed the door and Morris gave up the only chair in the room for her to sit in. We all stood silently as she looked all of us over. We felt like kids again. This time Dez was along for the ride. He had never had the state down from my mom when we were younger because he wasn't around in our younger days. Dez came to the group when we started high school so this is his first Jenson family scolding. The way I see it this was the official initiation.

"Alright! Since nobody will talk I'll piece it together myself." She said as she tapped her newly manicured nails on the table.

Prince and I looked at Andre and he looked back and gave us the nod to confess. I wasn't ready but I knew it had to be done.

"Ok! Ok! I'll talk!" I said trying to keep the guilt from tearing me apart.

"Regan. What about-" Morris started talking and I cut him off quickly.

"No. Mr. John was right. She needs to know. Everything." I said as I looked at my mom waiting for her worried expression to change.

I closed my eyes and prepared myself to confess everything from the beginning. Starting with the first time he hit me.

"Ma, Marcus is my ex boyfriend. I met him in college and he's very possessive. I tried to break it off with him for good but he keeps coming back. He's even tried to force himself onto me. He came to Prince's house for a party when Dez came home from touring and he's been trying to hurt me ever since."

My mom was in complete shock. Her eyes were glassy and she had sat completely still in the chair.

"Regan! Why didn't you tell me this sooner!?!?!" She said in a heartbroken voice.

"I know Ma I'm sorry! I wanted to! I really did! I was worried that he would target you too."

"Too? What do you mean 'too'?"

Dez soon took over in explaining.

"Mrs J.? Andre is here becaus Marcus kidnapped him and tried to blow him up."

My mom was never so worried shocked and surprised in her life.

"Andre why didn't you tell me!?!??" She pleaded.

"We wanted him to keep his focus on us and not come after you too ma'am. We promised Regan." He said.

My mom was still trying to understand what was you on and why she was kept in the dark for so long.

"How long has this been going on Regan?" She asked me.

"Since the beginning of last semester." I said dropping my head.

Now my mom was furious.

"You are transferring from UCLA."

"Ma! I can't! What about graduating? I leave to go back in three weeks!"

"I don't care if you had to be on Venus in three weeks. You will be going to college closer to home."

"Ma! Come on! Do you know how many credits I would have to transfer? And I would have to find a school that will take them in a short period of time! It's impossible!"

"Regan Michelle I don't care! You will transfer and I don't want to hear anymore about it!"

"But-"

"NOT ANOTHER WORD!"

"Yes ma'am."

The sigh of disappointment came out of me in one hard breath. I've been scolded in front of the guys before when we were younger but not like this. Not while she's on the job. She stood up from the chair and attempted to collect her calming demeanor. She looked at all of us. We all knew she was disappointed and we were all hurt that we kept something this big from her.

"I can't believe you. All of you. Putting your lives in danger like the way you have. And for what???? To live in the moment?!?!? You could have all been killed! How much more do any of you need to go through before that happens? You would think that you would have said something since Andre ended up here! This is more than I can handle right now. I have to get back to work but Regan. You're staying home."

My mom walked to the door and I ran over to stop her. I didn't notice until I pulled at her arm that I was crying.

"Ma?"

She turned to find me in tears. She put her hands on my face wiping them away.

"You mad?" I asked.

My mom sighed and shook her head.

"I'm not mad just disappointed you didn't tell me. I thought you could come to me about anything."

"I can but I just didn't wanna worry you. You've been missing daddy and working so much that I didn't wanna give you another thing to worry about."

"Regan you are my daughter I will always worry about you! That is not going to ever change. You're always going to be my little mouse."

She took me in her arms as I cried a little more.

"I love you. My little mouse." She whispered.

"I love you too Ma."

She let go and wiped my face one more time. Before she left she turned to the guys and smiled.

"And you five! I'll deal with you later." She said pointing at them.

"We understand ma'am." Morris said.

"Yeah Mrs J. We're really sorry." Andre said.

"Oh it's not over until it's over son." She replied to Andre.

She flashed a smile and left the room closing the door behind her. I turned to the guys and let out a deep sad sigh while putting my hands on the top of my head.

"Well so much for going back to LA." I said with a disappointed tone.

"No! Actually you'll be going back." Andre said.

"Dre you heard my mom! She's not gonna let me go back."

"Oh yeah she will I know it." He said with a grin.

"How man? You heard what Mrs J said." Dez replied.

"You'll see. Wait until they let me outta this place. We'll go to my place and talk about it. I got an idea."

Just like Andre. Always with a plan. The near death experience never phased him at all.