Year 1: Slytherin!

**Hello everyone! This is the first chapter to my Neville Longbottom fanfic! I just love Neville so much and I have had this idea in my head for a few weeks so I decided to write it. I hope you enjoy!

~*~

It is the first day of my first year at Hogwarts. The train ride was pleasant enough since I sat with Draco, my best friend since birth. I was so excited to see the castle and go to class but I could never let anyone see my excitement. I am a Dright and we don't get excited of stuff like this. Although, I'm incredibly different from my family. After the train stopped and we all piled off I noticed a rather large man standing a few feet in front of us. "First years this way" he shouted making everyone look his way. I heard murmurs and gasps about how tall he was coming from all around me.

We made our way to the boats and of course, I sat with Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle. The boat floated on the water by its self. We turned a slight corner and the castle immediately came into view. "Woah" I breathed out in absolute amazement. "It's just a stupid old castle." Draco said from his seat next to me. I ignored him and took in the view of the school I'd be attending for the next 7 years.

We all filed into the school gasping and taking in the beautiful sight. We climbed some stairs until we were stopped by an older lady in all black robes. She began to speak but was interrupted by a toad croaking at her feet. "Trevor!" A young boy my age yelled busting through the group of kids. He picked up the toad with a smile on his face. I looked up to the woman in front of us and she did not look amused at all. I looked back at the boy to see him gulp then step back into the crowd with his toad in hand. I listened intently to her telling us that we would be sorted into our houses soon and then she left leaving us alone on the stairs.

"So it's true then, what they say on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Draco said stepping up and turning to face a boy with black hair and glasses. "I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy" He said as he extended his hand to the other boy. The red head standing behind Harry snickered causing Draco to look at him with hatred. "Think my names funny do ya? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand me down robe. You must be a Weasley." Draco sneered at him. I felt bad for the red head. Draco is a lot to handle if you don't know him. "You'll soon learn that other wizarding families are better than others Potter. I can help you there." Draco said extending his hand to Harry again. I watched Harry glance back at the Weasley boy then to Draco's hand. "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks." Harry said proudly making Draco look even more angry than before. I saw the professor coming and tried to get his attention but I failed. The woman tapped him on the shoulder with the rolled up parchment in her hand. He moved immediately back to his spot next to me.

The giant doors opened and we walked in lines of two. Draco was next to me staring at the back of the head of the person in front of him. I was staring at the bewitched ceiling and the students already sitting at their house tables. I was suddenly hit with fear that made me forget about my surroundings. What if I don't get sorted into Slytherin? I asked myself frantically as we got closer to the sorting hat. My father would kill me if I was sorted into any other house.

We gathered around the hat as the older woman stepped up next to it. "When I read your name step up here, I'll place the hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." She picked the hat up from the stool before reading the first name. "Hermione Granger" A girl with frizzy, wavy hair stepped up and slowly sat on the stool. The hat spoke a bit but I ignored it. The only thing I paid attention to was the house name. "Gryffindor!" The hat shouted and a table cheered. She ran off to meet her fellow house mates. "Draco Malfoy," I watched as he stepped up confidently and sat on the stool. The hat didn't even touch his head when it yelled "Slytherin!" A proud smile broke out on his face as he hopped off the stool and headed to the cheering table. "Ronald Weasley," the red head stepped up and nervously took a seat. Once the hat was placed on his head he scoffed making the Weasley jump. "Another Weasley, I know just what to do with you. Gryffindor!" The table cheered again as the boy ran to it. "Harry Potter," the room immediately went silent as the black haired boy cautiously stepped up to the stool and sat down. "Hmm, difficult, very difficult" as the hat continued to rant I glanced over to the Slytherin table where Draco sat watching Harry on the stool. "Gryffindor!" The hat yelled and the entire room, with the exception of the Slytherin table, cheered and clapped as the boy made his way to the table. "Abigail Dright," I felt all the blood drain from my face at the mention of my name. I sat down quickly just ready to get this over with. Once the hat was on my head I closed my eyes and hoped for the best. I opened my eyes after a few seconds of silence then all of a sudden the hat shouted "Slytherin!" I felt myself instantly calm as I made my way over to Draco. A few more names were read off that I ignored due to Draco talking to me but when he finally shut up I heard the name "Neville Longbottom," Draco snickered at it but I watched the boy with the toad struggling to sit on the stool. I could tell he was incredibly nervous. "Gryffindor!" The hat yelled and I found myself smiling slightly. Good for him. I thought to myself as I watched him run to the table.

~*~

**I know short chapter but I just wanted to give a little before hand knowledge. I hope you guys liked it and continue to enjoy it!