Year 7: So You Forgive Me?

Once we entered the sleeping quarters everyone turned to see who entered. We were both out of breath from running so neither of us cared about the stares. "Neville, I'm really sorry." I reached for his arm but he pulled away from me. He looked back at me with the pain evident in his eyes. He didn't say a word. He just walked away into the crowd of students sitting on the floor with blankets or in sheets hanging from the pillars. I didn't want to make matters worse so I walked over to an empty area and sat down. I rested my arms and head on my knees still trying to regain my steady breathing. "Is everything alright?" Ginny asked me. I looked up to see her sitting down next to me.

I sighed. "No, Amycus was going to punish Neville because he was bored. I tried to stop him but he made me choose. Either I helped him punish Neville or I had to snog him. I picked the one I thought would be more easily forgiven. If I couldn't forgive myself then neither could Neville. If I had hit him then I never would have forgave myself. I couldn't do it. I know if I tired anything else Carrow would have killed us. So, I snogged him. Now, Neville is very hurt and not speaking to me." I explained what happened to her. Maybe she could help. "I believe you made the right choice too. He will come around. I'll talk to him." She gave me a warm smile then stood and disappeared into the crowd.

Later that evening Ginny had brought me some blankets and a pillow. I thanked her and laid them out where I was sitting. "Hey" I looked up to see Neville. "Hi" I looked away unable to bare what I did to him. I felt him sit next to me and grab my hand. I looked over at him curiously. "I'm sorry" I said again with my voice cracking. "I know, it's okay Abby. Thank you for not hitting me. I just couldn't bare seeing someone else kiss you like that. I didn't mean to seem angry at you." I felt tears falling down my cheeks. I was so happy he didn't hate me. He brought his hand up to my face and wiped the tears away. "So you forgive me?" I asked trying not to sob uncontrollably. "I forgave you as soon as it happened." He whispered as he leaned closer to me. Our lips met and it was still the best feeling I had ever had. He kissed me like he'd never get the chance again. I kissed back with the same ferocity. He pulled away instantly making me miss the feeling of his lips on mine.

Only a few days later when we were in our Dark Arts class I completely showed everyone what side I was on. The lesson today was practicing the cruciatus curse. On first years. "Bloody hell" I whispered to Neville who was standing next to me. "I know" he whispered back. I watched as some of the Slytherin students took great joy in practicing on the poor boy in front of the class. Each student to disobey was sent to the Carrows. With that in mind not many refused. Actually none had refused until Neville stepped up. "Your turn Longbottom. Let's see what you got." The professor said with a sinister, crooked smile. "No" Neville said putting his wand in his pocket. "Excuse me?" The professor asked. "I said no. I refuse to do this." I was proud of him in that moment. Even though he knew what would happen to himself he still refused to torture the innocent boy. Alecto Carrow came from the shadows of the corner and dragged Neville out of the room.

"Dright, your up" the professor said thinking I would be more than willing to do as he said. I followed Neville's lead and put my wand in my pocket. "It's not gonna happen." I said sternly. "You are a Dright! You will not refuse!" He yelled stepping closer to me. "I am not a Dright! I am a Black and Black's would never harm an innocent child!" I yelled back not fully knowing where that came from. Amycus' arms were around me a second later dragging me out of the room in the same direction that Neville was taken.

Amycus threw me into a room with very dim lighting. When I looked up I could see Neville chained to the wall in front of me. Alecto grabbed my arm and chained me beside him. "A Black?" Amycus questioned stepping in front of me. "What makes you think you're a Black?" He raised a brow at me. "You told them?" Neville asked frantically. "It just kind of slipped out." I replied glancing over at him. "Answer me!" Amycus yelled making me flinch. "I heard my parents talking. They said my real father's name was Sirius Black." I looked him in the eye with a new found confidence. "Mass murderer Sirius Black?" Alecto asked stepping up beside her brother. "He didn't murder anyone." Neville growled next to me. I didn't think he was capable of doing that. I was impressed.

When we were finally let go and threw back into the sleeping quarters the both of us were bruised, bloody, swollen, and exhausted. Ginny, Luna, Sheamus, and Dean helped us to our feet and over to our blankets which were now next to each other. "What happened?" Ginny asked as she helped me sit. "Defense Against the Dark Arts class had us practicing the cruciatus curse on a first year. These two were the only ones brave enough to refuse." Sheamus said hanging his head. He most likely felt guilt for not refusing like we did. I might hurt like hell right now but I'd rather have this pain then live with the guilt of torturing an innocent first year.