Summer Break: How Could You?

**Apologies if it seems like I'm skipping around. I kind of am though because it's only certain years and certain parts of the years that have any important meaning. Enjoy!

~*~

It was already a few weeks into summer break and I was already ready to go back to Hogwarts. I was on my way upstairs to our small mail room where we kept our owls. My owl was finally back with a letter I'd been waiting for. I grabbed it quickly and took off for my room. On my way down the stairs I almost bumped into my father. Thanks to my cat like reflexes I stopped just in time to not hit him. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?" He asked peering down at me. "Oh no where, just my room." He stared at me for a few more seconds then nodded. "Before dinner I'd like you to come to my office. We need to discuss something." He spoke as he made his way down the stairs. "Yes sir" I yelled down to him.

I darted into my room then closed and locked the door behind me. I sat cross legged on my bed and unrolled the parchment.

"Dear Abby, I'm happy to hear your doing well. Don't worry about that incident with Draco. He is an ass and I get that. It wasn't your fault. I was just embarrassed that I couldn't do anything to protect myself. Maybe I should work on that. Anyway, things with your family been going well? I hope they have been alright. From what you've told me they don't sound to pleasant but at least you have a few people to talk to. I have my grandmother, who I love dearly, but it gets to me sometimes only having her to talk to. Things aren't going well for Hogwarts, Dumbledore, or Harry right now. I don't know if you've heard but the Minister for Magic has been attacking them because of their claims about you know who being back. I wanted to ask, well, because your father is a death eater, you should know if this is true or not. I believe Harry because I trust him but you never know he could have been messed with or something. Hopefully this summer goes by quickly. I feel like our 5th year is going to be quite interesting. It would be great if we were potions partners again! I really hope Draco doesn't kill me. I'm too young to die! From your letter I took it that you were worried I no longer wanted to be friends with you. I wanted to say to not worry about that because we will be friends unless you do something to harm me on purpose. Other than that we're good. -Neville L."

I smiled at the letter before rolling it up and putting it in my small box beside my bed. That box is where I kept all my private things. Also, all the small things that meant something to me and I didn't want to loose. I decided to go ahead and speak to my father before writing Neville back. I made my way down stairs and into my father's office. "Sit" he gestured to the chairs in front of his wooden desk. I sat and patiently waited for him to speak.

After a few minutes of silence while he wrote on some papers he looked up to meet my eyes. "I've been told about a friend of yours that seems to be causing some talk." He sat his papers down and leaned on his desk to give me his full attention. "Are you referring to Neville Longbottom?" I asked already knowing the answer. "Yes, there is talk that you have been flirting with him about every chance you get even though you are to be with Draco." He raised a brow clearly waiting on my side of the story. "I haven't been flirting with him father. He is my friend and that's all. I would never do anything to damage the reputation of our family." I spoke confidently because I knew how to speak to my father even if I was lying to him. He nodded, grabbed his papers then put them in one of his desk drawers.

He stood up from his seat and came around the desk to stand in front of me. "Abigail, if I hear of these accusations again then this Longbottom boy will have to deal with me. I will not put up with this behavior. You know what I expect out of you and you know what will happen if you don't exceed my expectations. So I advise you to tread carefully this year at school." He narrowed his eyes at me and I couldn't help but gulped. He terrified me in every way. I nodded slowly then exited the room. I went back up to my room to write Neville a letter back. Once I was inside I locked my door again then sat at my desk.

"Dear Neville, I hate to say this but this will be my last letter for the summer break. Someone, also known as Draco, has brought to my father's attention that I have apparently been flirting with you immensely. I've been informed that if he is told of this again then you will have to deal with him. I wanted to tell you this so you knew why I'd be acting weird once we get back to school. I will still be your friend but I have to limit my time around you and watch my every move. Sadly, I know everything that is going on with Dumbledore and Harry. I can tell you the truth about the situation but you cannot tell a soul. You also cannot breath a word that I told you this. The truth is, yes, you know who has returned. My father and the others have been busy getting things in order. I swear they are like children following their father at the heals completely unknowing of their actions. I hope the rest of your break goes well. Honestly, I hope Snape makes us partners again because that will give me an excuse to hang out with you more. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I'll see you at school Longbottom. -Abby D."

I rolled up the parchment and wrapped the string around it. I opened up my door to make sure no one was around to see me with this letter. Once I determined it was clear I made my way up the stairs. I tied the letter to my owl then picked him up. I stroked his feathers as I walked to the large opening in the wall. "To Neville Longbottom" I whispered then the owl flew off to deliver the letter.

A few days later I was outside relaxing in the sun when I heard the familiar voice of none other than Draco Malfoy. "Draco, can I speak with you?" I asked not looking in his direction. I heard him walk over to me and take a seat beside me. I turned to look at him. "How could you?" I asked in almost a whisper. "What?" He asked completely oblivious. "How could you tell my father I was flirting with Neville! I already told you I wasn't! Are you that jealous of me spending time with a friend that you had to go to my father and tell lies?" I was furious at this point and not caring who heard me. "You listen to me Abby, I'm the one that matters. The only one. I'm the one that you're gonna spend the rest of your life with and I refuse to have people gossiping behind my back that you have feelings for someone else. That someone else being Longbottom makes it ten times worse because he is a nobody and nothing compared to me." He sounded so much like my father it almost made me cry. Almost. "I do not have feelings for Neville!" I screamed at him. I couldn't take anymore of this. I got up and went back inside to lock myself in my room. That's where I stayed for pretty much the remainder of the break.