Year 6: He Was a Good Man

I followed Neville back into the school. He was going to take me to Harry. He said he should be in the great hall with Ron and Hermione. We walked in and went straight to the table where Harry, Luna, and Hermione were sitting. "Harry, Abby needs to talk to you about something." Neville said taking a seat. He left enough room for me to sit between him and Harry. "What can I do for you?" Harry asked turning to me. "Well, first, what I'm about to tell you cannot leave this group. My family doesn't even know that I know." I watched as they all nodded in agreement.

"I found out over break that I'm adopted. I'm not a Dright. My real father's name was Sirius Black. Neville told me he was your godfather." Harry looked shocked. He stayed quiet for a few minutes. "Sirius is you father?" Hermione questioned with disbelief. I nodded and turned back to Harry. "He told me he always wanted a child." He was staring at me intently. "I do see a lot of him in you. I just never noticed before." He seemed to be recalling an old memory. "Do I look like him?" I asked curiously. "Look for yourself" he said as he pulled a parchment from his pocket. He laid it on the table in front of me. "This was the original order. That there is Sirius Black." He pointed to a man with shoulder length, wavy black hair.

Well I know where I got my hair from. "Is that Lupin?" I questioned pointing at the familiar looking man standing behind a couple. "Yes, and the couple in front of him is my parents. They were all best friends." I watched the picture move for a little while longer. I took in the sight of my father standing there smiling with his friends. "I wish I could have met him." I whispered mostly to myself. "He was a good man Abby. One of the best men I have ever met." Harry said as he put the picture back in his pocket.

A few minutes passed as we all sat laughing and talking. "You look awful Ron." Luna said as Ron sat next to Hermione. "After today I'm going to forfeit. McClaggen can have my spot." Ron spoke nervously as he glanced around at the rest of us. "Is that why you put something in his cup?" Luna asked Harry. Harry gave her a small smile then put something back in his pocket. I saw a glimpse of it. "Liquid luck" Hermione said glancing at Ron who was now staring at the cup in front of him. "Don't drink it Ron!" She scolded him. He ignored her and down the whole thing in one drink.

"Do you want to come to the game?" Neville asked me after everyone else had left the table. "No, I best not." I said softly as I stood from my seat. "Why not?" He asked seeming a little hurt. "I need to study and talk to Draco." I said as I remembered something else from summer break. "I'll see you later then." He smiled warmly at me. I nodded and watched as he ran off to the quidditch match.

I made my way back to the common room where I found Draco sitting with Blaise. "Can we talk?" I asked walking over to them. Blaise silently stood and left the room. I sat next to Draco who gave me his full attention. "When are you doing it?" I asked him softly. "I've tried twice already and failed. So it will be when I let the others in." He put his hand on my leg and pulled me closer to him. I had to fight the urge to squirm away. "Why?" I asked mindlessly tugging on his collar. "Because I was chosen to do it." I closed my eyes and took in a long breath to calm myself. "Do I have to be with you?" I asked when I opened my eyes. "Yes" he said simply.

He grabbed my face and held me still as his lips met mine. I kissed him back reluctantly. I had to put on a show. I had to make him and everyone else believe that I was on his side. I kissed him back with more force making him tug on my hair a bit. If I wasn't careful this could go to far. I pulled away from him stopping everything. He just looked at me with a puzzled expression. "Let me know when it's time." I stood from my seat and left the common room.

I wasn't sure what to do so I just went to the tower. I sat on the ground letting the wind whip around me. I wish this was easier. I wish my mother never would have given me up. If only she had told Sirius about me then maybe he would have taken me in. What would I be like if that had happened? I'm sure my life would have been a while lot simpler. The only thing I want is to run away. I want to run away and hide from all of this. Take Neville with me. He's the only one who really understands me. The only one who truly cares for me. What am I gonna do?

A few weeks later I was sitting with Neville in the greenhouse. He had volunteered to help take care of the plants and I volunteered along with him. He was in the middle of telling me about one of the plants and how to keep to going when Draco pretty much busted through the door. "Draco?" I questioned looking at him like he was a ghost. "It's time" was all he said. He left the room and I could feel the blood drain from my face. "What was that about?" Neville asked and then looked over at me. "Are you okay? You look like you're gonna be sick." I just stared at him. I couldn't tell him what was about to happen. "Listen to me Neville. Whatever happens please don't think badly of me. I have to be with him." I stood from my seat and grabbed my bag. I left the room before Neville had the chance to ask me anything.

I met Draco in the corridor and followed behind him through the school. We were headed towards the tower. I stayed silent as we climbed the stairs. At the top stood Dumbledore. His back was to us but he immediately knew who we were. "Good evening Draco and Miss Abby." He turned to face us. With the knowledge I had about what was going to happen I stepped back and immediately zoned out. I couldn't pay attention. I couldn't watch this happen. I watched as Bellatrix and the others came up the stairs. I still couldn't hear anything other than the ringing in my ears. It felt like an eternity had went by. It was like everything was in slow motion.

"No" I faintly heard professor Snape's voice. I watched as Draco lowered his wand and Snape stood in his place. After that I closed my eyes. I couldn't watch. I felt Simone tug on my arm and that's when reality hit me like a truck. I heard Bellatrix cackling like the maniac she is. Draco had a hold of my arm pulling me behind him. He looked terrified. The only thing that made me happy was that he didn't do it. He didn't kill Dumbledore. I looked up at Snape who was walking next to us. He did it. I never thought he would actually be able to do that.

Bellatrix had her fun exploding windows and kicking the glasses and plates on the tables for meals. We ran out of the school and down the hill towards Hagrid's hut. "Snape! He trusted you!" I heard Harry yell from behind us. Snape grabbed both Draco and I and pushed us towards the others. Draco took off running pulling me behind him once again. Once we stopped to breath I looked around. Then, everything started spinning. Then everything went dark.