26-Christmas

26-Christmas

"Xepher, help me!" Aria's ragged cry sounded as Xepher whipped his head from side to side trying to find where the voice was coming from. It was dark, the sound of rushing water vibrated throughout his body. The woods were eerily quiet and there was no moon.

"Help me." It was a whispered taunt, sounding like Aria yet not her. Turning to the voice he ran towards it. Leaves and branches hit him from every direction, but nothing stopped him. He needed to get to her. Make sure she was safe. The dead crunch of leaves and rubbery sound of snow under his feet as he ran sounded louder, almost like a scream. Mocking him. Telling him he wasn't fast enough, that he was too late.

"Help!" The scream cracked towards the end and he felt a scream of his own echo through his chest and into the silent night air. He sped up his feet, his heart racing yet breaking at the same time because he knew. He knew he was too late. Breaking through the ice ridden foliage he skidded to a stop at the rocky shore of the river.

"Help." Soft, almost non-existent, but he heard it. His head whipped to the side and he saw Aria. Xepher's lungs ceased to work. He ran to her and skidded to his knees beside her.

"Aria, Aria, Baby Girl, it's okay, it'll all be okay, I swear to you it will." Xepher said, but the crack in his voice and the tears racing down his face were proof of the lie he was telling. Xepher reached out and took her into his embrace, letting her head rest on his legs. She wore a small white dress, and her hair looked black as the night sky against her icy blue skin. Her lips were purple, as well as under her eyes. Her body was shivering uncontrollably as she opened her mouth time and time again, trying to speak but nothing came out. She looked down and his eyes followed. That's when Xepher saw it. The blood pouring from her stomach, her hand trying to hold it in, trying to keep pressure on it but failing.

He turned back to her, "We have to get you to a hospital now Aria." But she shook her head.

"Too....l-l-late." She replied softly, her voice broken. He could see the life in her eyes slowly draining as she struggled on.

"Aria, Baby, I need you to fight it okay? Fight as hard as you can. Now!" She only shook her head, her body trembling now, almost vibrating.

"Xepher, I-I love you." Were the last words she spoke before her body went limp and she didn't open her eyes again.

Xepher woke up with a start, having been pulled from the nightmare by a soft knock on his bedroom door. His breathing was erratic, and his heart pounded in his chest furiously. He fell back into his pillows. His room was nearly pitch black, the only light coming through the window from the moon.

"Come in." He called out quietly. The door opened softly, and he looked over to find Aria entering the room, closing the door silently behind her. Xepher sat up immediately and walked over to her.

"Sorry to bother y-" Xepher cut her off, wrapping his arms around her tightly as she stood there in shock.

"X-Xepher?" She asked, worry laced in her voice.

"I had a nightmare, that you-that he-oh God." He squeezed tighter. Then he felt her hands wrap around him, her fingers drawing circles on his back.

"It's okay, I'm right here, he didn't hurt me." She said, soothing him. Slowly his body loosened, and he pulled his head back, looking Aria in the eyes.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were in the guest room." He asked. Aria chuckled.

"Yeah, my mom snores and moves a lot in her sleep. I might have a black eye come morning." Xepher laughed softly but stopped when Aria's expression changed into something dark.