Chapter One: I Feel it Coming

"You've been scared of love and what it did to you

You don't have to run, I know what you've been through just a simple touch and it can set you free We don't have to rush when you're alone with me"

I Feel it Coming (The Weeknd ft.Daft Punk)

Kae:

I am destined for nothing other than misery and sadness.

I was born with a hex, one I'm not even sure God can abolish.

If every child is born with a purpose in life, mine is to go through the worst a human can possibly go through before dying a tragic death. I am certain of this.

One could only imagine where I had adopted such a negative way of thinking and I say this, my life. Since I was a child, not only had I been struck with tragedy, it never seemed to cease and give me a break. I constantly rode the wave of problem after problem, an unlucky child I am.

Now a fully grown adult, I see that happiness is just a misconstrued way of thinking. No one is really just happy in life, they are simply content. Enjoying the current moment where nothing bad is happening to them and that's it.

But I am always going through something bad.

Thus, I can never be happy.

I am destined for hell.

"Dr. Francisque...what happened to your eye?!" I hadn't even set my bag down before I was subjected to the loudmouth of my co-worker Angeline Vasquez.

"Nothing." I sat down in my office chair and started up my computer ignoring the pile of files that had to be read through before noon.

I tried my best to control the number of times I blinked because I could feel the splitting of my right eye deepen more and more. It hurt like hell, but I was a tough cookie it wasn't the worst I've been through in my life, that was for sure.

Angeline walks further into my office shutting the door behind her so she could speak more privately.

Great...maybe this time Japan won't hear our conversation.

"Dr. Francisque that is not something you can just brush off. Your eye is nearly busted up and black, what happened?" She asked again.

I tapped my fingers nails idle onto the desk in a rapid manner, my patience was wearing thin and it was only 6:30 in the morning. Why couldn't she go bother someone else?

"I wasn't looking and walked into a pole yesterday," I said through gritted teeth, it was taking everything in me not to throw something at her.

"A pole?!" She tsked and shook her head, "You need to be more attentive, Riny─."

"Can you shut up and get out, please?!" I shouted causing her to stop mid-speech and jump.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to─."

"Just get out." I winced as I absent-mindedly rubbed my hand over my eyes.

I didn't hear her step out, but when I looked up again she was gone and I breathed out a sigh of relief before standing up and heading for the bathroom in my office so I could properly look at my eye. I swore I had done a good job patching it up this morning before heading to work.

At the mirror, I noted that the job I had done to my eye was turning south as it was on the verge of busting again, trickles of blood were beginning to pop out of the seams and I clenched my teeth.