Chapter Fifty-Three: I Get High

"When I hear the mention of your name I always react the same

My high takes a ride from the ground to the sky
I get high, I get high, I get high, I get high, I get high
High from the feeling you give me
Even though you're not with me, though you're not with me
Together we made a memory, together we made a memory
What's wrong with touch of ecstacy?

I get high, I get high, I get high, I get high
I get high on your memory, high on your memory
Sweet, sweet memory, sweet, sweet memory."

-Freda Payne (I Get High On Your Memory)

Kae:

           The clock was ticking we needed to focus on this kidnapping the drama that I had to deal with my father, Andrei, and Alexei had to wait. Milena's life was at stake and her making it back home alive with my priority; I couldn't let anything distract me, not at this moment.

            My father was still on the base somewhere doing who knows, I just hoped it was very far from Andrei. That look he gave when I told him that he was my boyfriend was a bit scary.... actually, a lot. As for my saying that when I first left Atlanta I had left that life and Andrei behind; technically we weren't together, but it was worth throwing it in there. I meant it when I said I wanted to just leave and explore with the Andrei; we both had been through so much, I was tired...I was simply tired of always being on ten. Watching the other girls finding their life purpose, what made them tick, the spark that kept other people in their lives going.

            I wanted to do something similar and I wanted Andrei by my side as we both figured it out. The girls from my division grilled me the minute we entered our old house of living. I guess it was a shock to the ones that I didn't tell yet that Omid was my father; they were shocked so I had to tell them the abridged version of how I found out. At least it didn't hurt my credibility, the last thing I would've wanted was for my accomplishments and command position to be questioned because my father bank-rolled this organization.

            We had spent a whole day yesterday doing PT and running mock scenarios while everyone got the full detail of what their division was responsible for once we highlighted their exact location. Today, was the day Rome, D.C. and I were going to fly over the suspected pinpoint areas to get a better camera visual on the layout of the HQ of EOE was hiding at; the director was really counting on us to get this information because the rest of the mission depended on it. I couldn't let her down, especially not in front of company.

            Speaking of such, I barely saw much of Andrei yesterday. Istanbul's hacking group had pretty much stolen him and I hadn't seen him since. Currently, right now, Rome, D.C., and I were on the airstrip and I looked around for sight of Andrei. So much for focusing solely on the mission...

            "You're going to break your neck with all the turning your doing. Save that neck for the flight." Rome smirked as she looked over the flight plan over again.

            I sighed. "I'm just on edge," I said to her.

            "I would be too especially knowing your father is in the same vicinity as your former lover and your attacker." She snarled when she said that last part. D.C. made it very clear it was shot on-site if she saw Alexei somewhere that wasn't Odyssey based, as much as I appreciated her for that, she didn't need to fight my battles for me.  My father already made it clear that he was captain of that ship.