Chapter Thirty-Three: Mary Jane

"I'm in love with Mary Jane.
She's my main thing.
She makes me feel alright.
She makes my heart sing.
And when I'm feeling low,
She comes as no surprise.
Turns me on with her love.
Takes me to paradise.

Do you love me, Mary Jane?
Yeah. Whoa-oh-oh.
Do ya? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?
Now do you think you love me Mary Jane.

Don't you play no games."

-Rick James (Mary Jane)

Kae:

Miss Sammy told us keeping a journal and documenting our thoughts were a good way of keeping up with our changing moods and thoughts. I bought one from the convenience store on my way back from the women's group meeting. We met two days a week on weekdays, I decided I was going to keeping going for now. I was also going to try to keep the drinking to a minimum, but I wasn't making any promises.

I just wouldn't drink as much.

"Okay, let me see your jab, lead, check, switch," Yut asked me as I stood in front of the heavy back punching bag. We were doing a 10-minute heavy bag workout that already had me dripping uncontrollably. I smartly decided that t-shirts and regular shorts weren't going to do it anymore and opted for a sports bra and Muay Thai shorts that I purchased for ease of access during the sessions.

I put my hands up and quickly hit the bag with full force, I stepped back holding my knee up very steadily before switching both my feet and kicking the bag with the same effort. Yut nodded impressively and told me to do that on repeat for a whole minute. It was crazy how quick and exhausted you could feel just by warming up, usually by the end of the sessions my arms and legs felt like complete jello. But the Thai boxing brought me a surge of confidence and strength that I didn't know I needed. I just wished it translated when I was in the women's group because I was as good as a fly on the wall just sitting there listening to everyone else.

I didn't want to share anything personal about me because if I did, everything would start to hurt again. I don't think I could handle a breakdown in front of people I didn't know. I was still warming up to them as a whole.

Yut was such a good trainer, he was very patient and he always challenged me. He knew when I picked up the material quickly and when we needed to move on because I had already mastered the skill. He said if I kept it up, I could probably start sparring with the guys pretty soon. The main focus when it came to Thai boxing was definitely having control, focusing, and most definitely making sure you finished your combination moves. Things clicked in my brain very fast when it came to the moves and how to execute them with precision, when it came to muscle memory it was a big plus in ensuring you defeat your opponent.

The rest of the session went really well. I really couldn't complain, I wasn't quite ready to fight yet, it was all about the process and making sure I was comfortable with all the steps and my body movements then I would start doing some fight studies; I was really excited about that. I cleaned myself off the best I could and dressed up before leaving the training center. The walk from there to my apartment wasn't long, I found myself enjoying this moment of peace every time I got out of practice. Unfortunately, the walk was short and I found myself in front of Hartley's hardware store.

I saw him in there cleaning up, his back was to me so he couldn't tell I was staring at him.

I pushed open the front door of the store, hearing the jingling of the bells alerting him of my presence. "We're closed sorry!" He called out as he continued mopping the floor.