Chapter Twenty-Three: Ocean Eyes

"I've been watching you for some time
Can't stop staring at those ocean eyes
Burning cities and napalm skies
Fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes
Your ocean eyes

No fair
You really know how to make me cry
When you give me those ocean eyes
I'm scared
I've never fallen from quite this high
Falling into your ocean eyes
Those ocean eyes."

-Billie Eilish (Ocean Eyes Black Bear Remix)

Andrei:

"Andrei.... you did all of this... for me?" Kae walked into the condo with an open-gaped mouth as I shut the door behind her. I had gotten the condo decorated for the occasion, I guess in a way it was both our first ever date. I never did this for other women before, although I wasn't as rampant as my brother in the bedroom; I would not put this much effort into someone unless I truly felt something for them.

And Kae was something I felt more than "something" for.

I wanted to go all-out for her this evening, she deserved it. All the heartbreak and trauma she went through in her life, she deserved a slice of happiness. Even if it came in the form of the mafia Don's younger brother who ends up doing all the work for the clan. Whatever I could do to put a smile on her face, even for a second, I would move hell and earth.

But of course, I have fears. Fears of people wanting to hurt her because of the affiliation she had with us, fear of her being unhappy, fear of her wanting to leave this chaos world behind. She was my light and I wasn't sure what I would do if suddenly it went out.

The Miami condo we were in was a secret hideout in case anything happened or if we really wanted to keep something under wraps. I was doing a check-up on this place and thought to myself it would make a quiet and intimate space for Kae and me to enjoy without prying ears and eyes wondering what we were up to it, or worse... Alexei ruining the entire thing. Dozens of rose petals littered the floor along with candles giving the place a cozy feeling, I even had a bit of music playing in the background, so it wasn't awkwardly quiet in here.

"Yeah... do you like it?" I asked as I walked up behind her.

She turned to face me, her eyes slightly rimming with tears, "Yes...it's beautiful. No one has ever done something like this for me." She continued looking around the condo in awe. This place had a beautiful view of the nightlife of Miami all surrounded by glass windows. She walked over to one of them and looked out at the skyline in amazement.

I smiled to myself, even though this date was only for tonight, I would make the memory count.

I walked over to the kitchen and went to grab the desserts I had prepared for this day. I came back with the platter of chocolate and a bottle of champagne and apple cider for Kae. She was still watching the view when I set the platters down on the coffee table. She turned around and looked down at what I had brought and smirked, "You even made chocolate strawberries?" She asked.

I shook my head, "Don't give me too much credit. I had these made for us." I said to her.

Kae came over and took a seat on the couch, "Still... that's effort." She stated.

I chuckled, "I'll go get some glasses.... I have some movies over there if you want to watch." I suggested to her. She nodded and I headed back into the kitchen to grab the champagne glasses before returning to join Kae on the couch. She was still crouched looking through the movies, I waited for her to pick something out before eating anything.

"Okay, do you want to watch Hitch, The Proposal or, Pretty Woman?" She turned around holding some of the DVD cases in her hands. 

"You can choose whatever," I said to her.