Chapter 4: Family Blood

Chapter 4

Family blood

My eyes widen out of their sockets. Sami’s cousin?!

“Y-you’re S-Sami’s cousin?” I asked disbelieving him. He nodded.

“Yeah, we’re cousin –my father is brother of Sami’s mother,” he stated as he dropped his hand realizing I wasn’t going to shake it.

“But she never mentioned you –I mean she never talked about you with me,” I said still shocked.

“Well she talked about you a lot with me,” he smiled. “I was studying aboard. We stayed contacted through e-mail.”

“Oh,” I simply said. I dropped my gaze and returned them to stare into his. “So do you know what happened to her?” I asked slowly almost a whisper.

He simply nodded dropping his gaze as he scratched the back of his head. “Yeah, she was my favorite cousin.” He sighed. “I came here because I wanted to meet you; you were like a sister to Sami. Trust me I never seen her so happy about a friend like you were to her.”

My eyes started to water. “Crap! So sorry don’t cry!” Kyler stared at me with apologetic eyes. “Crap! Crap! Crap! Don’t cry! Please.”

He bit his bottom lip looking at me with sorrow. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean for you to cry.” I shook my head.

“No, it’s a sensitive issue,” I responded. He sighed –a pleading sigh.

“I never meant you hurt you,” he apologized. All of the sudden Matt grabbed my left hand tightening his fingers. I stared at him both shocked and hurt. Matt had never grabbed me like this before.

“Are you…,” Kyler voice trailed off as he stared down towards Matt’s hand intertwined with mine. Instinctively, I pulled my hand away. I shook my head.

“No,” I simply said. Kyler raised an eyebrow not believing.

“Uhuh,” he said.

“Well,” Mr. Tate interrupted us. “Sorry to interrupt, but class has started.” I turned to look at Mr. Tate who stood at the door eating a beagle. We walked towards our assigned seats. Matt sat down next to me tensed. Kyler sat down on the third front table.

I looked from him to Matt, but Matt was lost in thought. I wondered why he reacted like that.

***

“So tell me do you still believe he could be your secret admirer?” Matt asked as he chewed on a stick of gum. We were at the library after school researching a topic about history.

I looked up from the thick book interrupted by his question. “Huh? No, I don’t think so.”

He rolled his eyes then gaze at me as if I were stupid. “Are you serious? Do you honestly believe in him?” He asked through his teeth as he leaned closer. I nodded.

“Yeah, I do, he said he was Sami’s cousin,” I explained calmly. “Why would he lie?”

“To be close to you,” he stated bluntly. “For all we know he could lie about it and you –you could believe him!”

I stared at him flatly. “Trust me he’s Sami’s cousin.”

He leaned even closer towards me our noses almost touching. “How could you be so sure about that?”

“Sami might have not talked about him, but that doesn’t mean he cannot be her cousin,” I explained. He didn’t swallow it. He was angry about this –his eyes were fuming.

I sighed. “Look we’ll ask him about her. If it’s true he’s her cousin he will know about her, stuff I only know,” I offered leaning back against the wooden chair and away from Matt. “If he’s not then we’ll know his lying, got it?”

He seemed to ease on my offering as he leaned back. After a few debates he finally nodded. “’k.”

I smiled. Something inside me told me Kyler wasn’t lying. Something screamed to me that what he said was true. After I had a good view of Kyler in the classroom I was sure he was Sami’s cousins. For one they both shared the facial expression.

As time passed by with our research I couldn’t help but to feel a gaze behind my back I turned around to look at Matt, but he had his back towards me. My eyes drifted from him towards the bookshelves, but there was nothing.

I shook my head bringing my attention to my research again. All of the sudden a paper ball hit my head. Angry, I turned around and punched Matt in the shoulder as hard as I could.

“What the hell is your problem?!” He sneered angry and surprised as he turned to glare at me with irritated eyes.

“That’s what I’m saying,” I fought back. “Why did you threw me that paper ball for?!” I pointed towards the paper ball that was on top of my book. He stared at me crazed.

“I didn’t throw anything at you,” he defended himself. “I’m right behind you. How can I throw you anything from behind being so close?!” I narrowed my eyes at him not believing him.

He grunted as he turned around towards his books. “You’re crazy.”

I stuck my tongue out at him as I sighed irritated by his lying. I took the paper ball and crushed in further more into my hands. I was about to throw it back at Matt when something caught my eye.

There was writing on the paper, big and bold. Frowning, I opened the paper as my eyes scanned through the paper. It was written for me.

Nikki,

If you don’t believe me that I’m Sami’s cousin, then come over to my house I have proof

-Kyler

P.S: you could bring your boyfriend if you want.

I reread the letter. Had he heard our conversation?

I turned around and patted Matt on the shoulder

“Matt,” I began. “Look.” He slowly turned around.

“What?”

“Look,” I said handing him the crumpled paper. “It’s from Kyler.” Matt quickly snatched the paper from my hands and read it. He narrowed his eyes.

“I suppose he heard our conversation,” he said flatly. He raised an eyebrow looking down at the paper. “Boyfriend?”

“He doesn’t believe that we’re not going out.” He brought his gaze to me and nodded understanding.

“We’re going,” he stated it didn’t even sound like a suggestion. “I want proof.”

I sighed, but nodded. If Kyler was in fact Sami’s cousin we would have to find out.