Chapter 7: Fury

Chapter 7

Fury

My eyes flew open as I screamed my lungs out. My mother rushed inside my bedroom alarmed.

“What’s the matter?!!”

I stared at her with trembling lips. “Aaron! He’s alive!”

Her eyes nearly came out of their sockets. “What!!”

“Aaron, he’s alive,” I sobbed. I drew my knees together as I hugged them tightly. My mother wrapped her arms around me holding me in her chest. She cradled me as I tried to breath.

When was the nightmare going to end? When? Hadn’t he had enough already? He killed my best friend and my two boyfriends.

I cried louder as I processed the words in my head.

“What are we going to do?” I asked my mother through cries.

“You won’t go to school that’s for sure,” she stated thinking. “I’ll call the police.” She began to release me, but I clutched on to her not letting go of her.

“No,” I begged. “Don’t leave me, mom.”

“I won’t,” she stated seriously. “But I need to make the phone call as soon as possible.” She tried again to leave and this time I let her. She promised she was coming back as I hugged my knees.

“Why?” I whispered. “Why can’t you leave me alone?” I rocked myself quietly. My lips trembled along with my body. I felt like I was still in a nightmare in which I couldn’t wake up. Never.

My mother came in the room as I extended my arms towards her. She squeezed me in her arms as I cried on her pajamas.

We stood like that for a long time not moving or talking. I cried and cried for what seemed like a river. As I started to calm down after a while, she spoke softly to me.

“I called the police and they said they would patrol the street for any sign of him,” she began. “For now you won’t go back to school –not until this is over.”

“I can’t stand it,” I whined. “I thought he was dead. I thought his body was in that coffin!”

She tensed. “I don’t know. I don’t know.”

I unclenched myself from my mother. “I want to be alone mom for now I want to be alone.”

She hesitated, but nodded slowly. She stood up never taking her eyes off me. “I’ll be downstairs making food for you.” She left my room without another word.

“How it is that he is alive when I saw him in that coffin?” I asked myself. “Did someone help him?”

I shook my head as I rested on my knees. “I don’t understand anymore.” As morning turned into afternoon a soft knocked was at my door. I didn’t answer.

“Nikki?” A soft voice asked. I didn’t recognize it as I jerked my head up towards the person. Kyler was staring at me with sorrow eyes.

“You didn’t arrive to school today nor did you come over towards my house, I figured you were sick or something,” he explained to me. “Look, I know everything. I know what happened to Sami, know what happen with your brother Aaron, I know everything.”

“He killed my best friend,” I said through a groggily tone. “My brother killed my best friend.”

He drew nearer to me as he kneeled down to my height. “It’s okay.”

I shook my head as I stared at him disbelieving. “How can everything be okay, Kyler? He killed Sami, your favorite cousin!” He dropped his gaze as he stared at his shoes, his lips twisted in a frown.

“True,” he finally said. “But you still have people around you, people whom you care about. They’re still here with you, don’t forget that.”

“Yeah?! And for long Kyler, huh? Tell me for how long will I have them still breathing before Aaron takes that all away?!” I snapped at him. He didn’t seem to be bothered by my words.

“Aaron won’t take that away from you,” he stated seriously.

“How would you know that?!”

“Because I will kill him if I see him,” he said through his teeth swearing it. “I will avenge my cousin’s death.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” a new voice called out sourly from behind him. “He would kill you before you have the chance to do so.”

Kyler turned around to stare at Matt with a blank expression. “Shut up.”

Matt narrowed his eyes at Kyler. I knew he didn’t trust him even though Kyler claimed that Sami was his cousin.

“Both of you stop,” I demanded. “Can’t you put aside your differences right now?”

Kyler gave Matt an intense look. “What the hell is the deal with you?!”

“What’s the deal with me?!” Matt asked incredulous. “My deal is that I don’t trust you, can’t it be any more obvious?”

“Oh please,” Kyler snapped. “You’re clearly jealous because I’m talking with your girlfriend.”

  I could feel the intensity between the two boys. I stood up from my bed and placed myself in front of them.

“Will you stop it?” I asked looking from one to the other, pleading.

Matt ignored me. “You can just leave Kyler. Just because you say your Sami’s cousin it doesn’t mean you can –can just get close to Nikki that way!”

“I can get close to whoever I want to,” Kyler sneered at him taking a step forward to me. He grabbed my arms and pulled me into a hug clearly provoking Matt. All of the sudden Matt yanked my away as I bounced on my bed. Everything happened to fast for my slow mind to understand.

Matt had punched Kyler on the face as Kyler crashed against the dresser making a loud crashing sound. Kyler quickly erected himself as he punched Matt on the stomach.

“Get away from Nikki,” Matt growled trying to punch Kyler in the face, but Kyler dodged it was ease.

“You can’t tell me what to do,” Kyler retorted as he punched Matt in the shin.

I threw myself at Matt as I tried to stop them from fighting anymore. “Stop both of you!”

My mother burst inside the room. She acted quickly as she grabbed Kyler by the collar yanking him away from Matt.

“Stop! Both of you!” She cried out as she looked from Matt to Kyler. “This isn’t the time to be fighting!” Matt tried to free himself from my grasp. His gaze was fixed only on Kyler as he gave him a killer look. Kyler mimicked Matt expression. “I want both of you out of this house now!”

She tugged on Kyler to leave first as he straighten his shirt cleaning off the blood his had from the corner of his mouth. Without any further word he turned around and left my room with my mother trailing after him like a hawk closing the door behind her. The tense was far from over.

Matt shook me off as he inhaled sharply. “I don’t trust him!”

“Matt you’re acting immature!”

He turned around to stare at me with a crazed expression. “Immature?! Nikki, are you even sure he’s Sami’s cousin?!”

“Yes,” I snapped at him furious. “I am sure his Sami’s cousin. God, why are you acting so possessive?! You’re acting like if you were my boyfriend or something!”

“Well I’m sorry for trying to protect you!” He retorted. I shook my head. I didn’t want to have put up with his attitude. I brushed pasted him opening the door wide.

“Leave,” I ordered staring at him coldly. He hesitated, but shook his head. Without a single glance at me, he stomped out of my room. I slammed the door closed.

I had enough of Matt’s attitude. He acted like if I was his...