Chapter 10: Memories

Chapter 10

Memories

“My name is Kristen Lowenthenal,” she said giving me a small smile. “You must be Kyler, Sami’s cousin?”

I nodded, “yeah.” The blond girl in front of me seemed nervous; her blue eyes looked everywhere expect for me. I could sense her grief and I knew what her words were going to be next. “Look, do you want to come inside?” I asked as I stepped aside gesturing her inside. She smiled at me as she nodded. I closed the door and walked towards her.

“There were rumors that Sami’s cousin came to town and I just wanted to meet him,” she explained as she sat on the black leather couch. “I…I liked your cousin.”

I nodded as I took a seat across from her. “I liked her also; she was like a sister to me.”

“Why did you come here?” She asked staring at me. “I mean why would you come to a place where it would remember your cousin?” She was straightforward.

I shrugged as I looked at my hands. “I wanted to know the best friend of my cousin. Sami would always mention her while I studied aboard. Growing up, Sami and I were more like brother and sister and then she had to move away because of job problems and poof she was out.

“Of course we communicated through webcam,” I said remembering. “She would tell me a lot about Nikki. Never had I seen such a smile on her face. Nikki was like a sister to Sami so I just knew I had to meet her.”

“So if she was like a sister to Sami then she must mean someone important to you,” Kristen guessed.  I nodded.

“Yeah, when I came I heard the news that her older brother died. I knew we shared a connection because we both lost very important people,” I explain to Kristen as I looked at her.

She smiled as she remembered something happy. “Sami was a very cool person, I admired that of her.” The corners of her lips twitched up slightly. “You know one day–” she smiled vividly as she looked at me with her chin resting on her right palm. “She was eating banana pie and in comes Sasha, a girl who used to come to school with us, and Sami slammed the banana pie on Sasha’s face. Sami and she didn’t get along and Sami just got the whip cream off her face and smeared it all over Sasha’s backpack.

“Poor Sasha, flies literally followed her home,” Kristen chuckled remembering. I could imagine Sami doing that. Sami had told me this before, but it was funny when Kristen told me this again.

“That’s Sami,” I said. “She won’t back down when someone hits her.”

“True,” Kristen agreed. “I just don’t understand who could do such a thing. Why did they do that?! Wasn’t it enough to just simply give her a moral wound?”

I cringe when she said that. When my mother told me this, I was filled with pure rage. Why did he have to cut her into pieces? Why did he do that and for what reason?

“Are you okay?” I asked when I glanced at how pale Kristen looked. She nodded.

“Yeah, I’m okay. It’s just that…Sami was killed very awful,” she winced at the end of the sentence.

My real reason why I came here, I thought seriously. Sami was killed here and her killer is here somewhere. I need to find him and avenge her death. She was like a sister to me.

“But can I ask you something?” She asked me interrupting me from my thoughts.

“Yeah,” I said giving her my attention.

“Did you really come here to meet Nikki or did you come here to avenge Sami’s death?”

I sighed as I looked seriously at her. “I came to meet Nikki.”

She blinked a couple of times. She probably thought I was going to say avenge Sami’s death or something like that. I can’t tell this girl my true reasons; she will end up destroying my plans.

“I thought something else,” she said smiling at me. “Me and my ideas.”

I grinned at her not feeling her emotions. “Yeah, but no I rather just leave everything. What’s done is done.”

She nodded understand my fake words. She stood up grinning. “That was one very interesting conversation.”

I smiled kindly at her. “Yeah, I guess.” I stood up as well as Kristen headed for the door.

She opened the door and then turned around. “It was nice meeting you, Kyler. You sort of remind me of Sami. Your smiled and upbeat attitude.”

I smiled on the surface but it felt like a needle was jabbed in my heart. “I guess.”

She walked out the door and into the street. Sami’s death will not be unjustified. I will make sure of that.

I closed the door behind me as I headed for Nikki’s house.

The walk did not take more than an hour. When I turned around the corner, my eyes widen. My heart skipped a beat as I took in the sight. 

~Nikki~ -

Slowly, I opened my eyes. A bright luminous moon hovered above me. Grimacing, I blinked a few times. Stars twinkled at my sight.

Where in the world was I doing here?! I thought to myself. The sound of waves crashing startled me; quickly I rose to find myself covered in sand. My hair was stick to my face. It had a very disgusting odor. My head ached painfully, it was killing me.

“Are you okay?” A voice called out. Under the moon light my eyes met a young man. He was very good looking with his chiseled jaw and slender yet muscular body. “You look lost.”

I shook my head as I stared down. “No.” Instantly I tried to recall, but my mind throbbed. I vaguely remembered old wooden walls and… and a boy. He took a step towards me.

“Don’t worry,” he assured me. “You can trust me.”

I looked up at him with troubled eyes. I couldn’t remember anything; the only thing I remembered was my name. Nikki.

The young man smiled gently at me, he looked very charming when he smiled, “My name is Aaron.”