Chapter 9: Run

Chapter 9

Run

I was pacing back and forth in my tiny room. I was still panicking about what happened days ago. He voice, his touch, his words…

Those words still echoed in my head as if he were here, next to me!

I hugged my arms as I began to sob. I screamed out loud when a loud pounding was heard at my window. I was alone with no one inside the house. My mom went to work –leaving me alone when I most needed her.

Matt hasn’t called nor has Kyler for that matter. Up until the death of Sami I have never felt this alone.

Alone…

“Nikki!” My head whip towards the direction the voice was calling out to me. I nearly threw myself at the window as my eyes met his green eyes. “Open the front door I need to talk to you!”

I smiled wide as I ran towards the front door to let Matt inside. As soon as I opened the door wide he yanked me into his chest crushing me.

“I’m sorry for acting like such an idiot,” he apologized. “I didn’t mean to hurt you or to leave you alone.”

A sense of déjà vu came to me when he said those words. I pushed him back as I stared at him.

“Matt,” I began. “You were only trying to protect me. A best friend like you I could never get mad at.”

His face hardened when I said those last words. He bit his bottom lip as he looked away. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Can we take a walk or something,” he offered.

“Are you crazy?” I blurted out at him. “Aaron is out there and you want me to go out?!”

“Nothing will happen to you if we leave the city,” he responded calmly as he looked into my eyes. “Trust me.”

I shook my head, “I’m not going anywhere, Matt.”

He sighed desperate –almost irritated. “Nikki stop being so stubborn! Nothing will ever happen to you when I’m around.”

He was right. Memories flashed when he was there with Aaron, when tried to protect me.

Matt would give his life to protect me.

“So what do you say?” He looked at me with smoldering eyes.

You need to go out and live a life without fear, Nikki…, a voice in my head said. My conscious was right. How would I ever live life if I’m always fearing?

I nodded, “yes.” I grabbed my heavy winter coat from the varnished wooden peg and put it on, zipping it all the way. Matt grinned wide as he saw my intentions.

“Only for a little time,” I warned as locked the door. “My mother needs to see me there before evening.”

He nodded as he grabbed my hand leading me towards the car parked in front of his house. It was same navy blue mustang he used before. He opened the passenger door for me as I hoped inside silently. I took a look at Matt secretly.

Something was off. I couldn’t quite put a finger to it, but Matt looked a little weird.

I shook it off. Me and my imagination, I thought crazed. When we were both inside his care I turned to look at him as he started the engine. “Where are we going?” I asked.

“Hm?” He looked at me. “Oh, we’re going somewhere.” He smirked as he gave me a wink. I blinked surprised Matt never did that. He looked from me towards the reviewing mirror; he gazed at it with mischievous eyes.