Chapter 13: Secrecy

Chapter 13

Secrecy

I sat next to Aaron as the words slowly ran through my mind. I repeated them over and over until they lost their meaning.

 “I’m a killer?!” I gasped as I drew my hands on my face. Aaron sat up as he wrapped his arms around me.

 “You and Sami were best friends since childhood,” he explained. “I became your boyfriend recently when Sami started to show… a little more affection towards me. You didn’t notice right away, but then you did and that’s when you became jealous of her and out fury you killed her.” I could not believe his words –I could not believe what I have done!

 “Since then we have been hiding,” Aaron slowly said. “The police are after you and if they see you they will put you in jail.” I was a killer and I was on the run. The whole room seemed to be shaking. Aaron held on tighter to me. He swayed me from side to side trying to calm me down. Tears started to fall on my hands.

 “It’s okay I’m here,” he whispered softy as gently smooth my arms. “I will protect you.”

 “But why?” I asked myself. How did I kill my best friend? Aaron was a cute guy, but was it worth it? I shook my head as I began to whimper. I grabbed Aaron tightly as I could for fear that I would be yanked away from his arms. “Don’t let me go.”

***

 I licked my lips as I approached his house. Would he be home right now? I took my chances as I passed the front the door and straight towards the back door. There must be a spare key somewhere here.

 All houses have one, I thought to myself as I looked down near the door. I crept closer to towards the door and looked into the bushes. Something caught my eye and I reached over to retrieve it. I grinned when I had the key to the back door in my hand.

 I inhaled through my nose as I prepared myself to enter inside Matt’s house. Nikki won’t go through the same fate as Sami. Sami wouldn’t want that for her and I knew it. Sami…

 I tiptoed as I got closer towards the backdoor and inserted the key. The hairs in the back of my neck stood up. I opened the door slowly as I entered the house. It was cold inside. I inhaled and exhaled through my nose as I silently closed the door.

 Where would Matt’s room be? I thought to myself. I know it’s on the top floor because there’s a staircase, but which door will it be? I gulped as I tiptoed towards the stairs. I began to feel sweating and scared. Chills ran down my spine as I kept think that Matt would appear behind me, staring at me as if he watched what I had done. I peered towards my left and right and there was no one.

 The house itself was cold and dead silent. I could hear water dripping from the kitchen sink as I made my way up the stairs.

 Where do I go? What if I open the door and he’s there? My heart pounded loudly as I placed my hand on the doorknob of the first door.

 I prayed to not be caught as I opened the door an inch. I peered inside and was relieved to find that it was bathroom. I exhaled my holding breath and closed it as I continue on towards the next door. There were about five doors in this hallway including the bathroom. Goosebumps appeared in my arms as I tiptoed towards the next door.

 I bit on my bottom lip as I placed my hand on the doorknob. Please let this one be Matt’s room, I prayed in thought.

 I inhaled as I opened the door an inch as I peered inside. My heart pounded against my lungs. This was Matt’s room. I sighed releasing my breath.  

 Quickly my eyes darted towards the bed. It was neatly made with no one inside. I stepped inside quickly as I closed door. I was lucky Matt wasn’t inside the bathroom or his room.

 For a moment I pondered on the idea of what I was doing here, but Sami’s face popped in my head. I rushed towards his desk as I looked for anything that would be suspicion. A bunch of papers, pens, pencils here and there, were scattered everywhere in his messy desk. I looked for any writing that contain something suspicion. I opened the first drawer on the left and looked. A bottle of medicine pills fell on the floor –the cap wasn’t tightened and threw up the pills inside.

 Cursing in my head I bent down and began to throw the pills inside the bottle swiftly. Once I picked up the pills I sighed. I looked at the bottle and read it description:

 Matt Demure

 Take 2 pills every six hours daily

 For Dissociative identity disorder

 Dissociative identity disorder? What was that? I frowned as I stared at the bottle as if it would tell me what it was. Suddenly a loud band from down stair startled me. Pain ran through me as my body suddenly froze in one place.

 I listened harder. Footsteps were heard in the staircase now. Matt was home!

 I looked around for a place to hide and quickly threw myself under the bed. The door creaked open as Matt’s shoes met my eyes. My heart pounded with the thought of getting caught. I bit my lips as I tried to stay silent as possible.

 “Will you shut up?!” Matt voice fumed. He was standing in front of desk. I leaned my head forward a little to see who he was talking to. There was no other person with him.

 “I told you already Nikki probably died,” he sneered as he placed his right hand on his face. “You are not in control anymore I am!” He was talking to himself. “Ugh! Just shut up!” Papers flew everywhere as he used his arm to fling at anything that was in front of him. “Either way Aaron will not have her because she finally went to heaven like the angel she is.”

 He killed her! Fury began to run in my viens.

 “What’s this?” He asked himself as he bent down to retrieve a pill.

 Pressure pushed down on my head.

***

“You’ll be fine if you’re with me,” Aaron whispered in my hair. The sun began to rise as light began to slowly flood the room. “I promise I will not let anything harm you.”

 I listened to his heart as it began to calm me slowly. I moved my head so I could have a better view at him. His dark brown eyes met mine with tenderness. I waited for the butterflies to flutter, but I felt nothing. Instead I smiled at him.

 He bent down to give me a kiss and instinctively I drew backwards. I offered him a small smile as I let go of him.

 “I need to get some sleep,” I said as I faked a yawn. He stood up as he sighed.

 “Want me to join you,” he offered. I slowly shook my head as I crawled on the bed and cover myself.

 “It’s okay,” I said as I looked at him. He nodded once and bent down to kiss my forehead before leaving.

 “If there’s anything you need I’ll be outside,” he said as he erected himself and headed towards the door. I nodded as he closed the door behind him.

 I laid there as thought about what Aaron had told me. The dream popped up again as I jerked my head towards the side, wincing. How could I do that to Sami?

I placed my hands on my face. Maybe that’s why I was on the beach. I had tried to kill myself for what I did to Sami. I shouldn’t be running away. I should just turn myself in with the police. Why run if sooner or later I was going to get caught?

I rolled towards my side and closed my eyes.

____________________________________________________________

I've got nothing.... my head hurts (>.<)