t w o

I walked out of my apartment and locked the door before I suddenly heard a loud creak coming from behind me. I stopped in my tracks, and slowly turned around as though there was a demonic presence stalking me. But instead of a demon, I saw something else similar to one.

My neighbour. He slithered like a snake, trying to squeeze through the small gap of his apartment door. I kept forgetting his name. I don't think we ever exchanged names. I knew nothing about him, and I assume he knew nothing about me.

Well, that was a lie. The one thing I knew about him was that he moved in last month and he crept around the building like the resident ghost. I don't know why he does it, and I never cared to find out. I probably should introduce myself and try being friendly. New year, new me, right?

His body suddenly stiffened as though he sensed me. He turned his attention to me as half of his body was already inside his apartment.

"Hey, neighbour," he said. Does he know my name?

I didn't say anything. I just nodded in response as usual.

"Can you mind your own business?" he said rudely before shutting the door.

That turned south quick.

I shook my head, ignoring the random interaction. I walked down the hallway and to the elevator. By the time I reached the train station, I met with Mia who waited for me patiently.

Dad and I lived near the city, particularly, near the hospital. Mia lived further away but she always waited for me at my train station so we could go the rest of the way together. Mia hated going to school alone—always saying that it made her look like a loner. So, every day, she waited for me. It started off like that when Mia moved to Melbourne but then it became a habit.

At first, I didn't like it as I always thought of it as a nuisance. But I got so used to it, it felt strange whenever Mia wasn't there waiting for me.

The moment I saw Mia, I almost ran to her. "Why are you so peppy?" Mia asked, frowning at my sudden excitement.

"This is exciting," I exclaimed for the tenth time today.

Mia rolled her eyes. The moment I woke up this morning, all I could think about was starting to finally change and reorganise my life. Something about it felt so exciting and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. But I felt scared at the same time.

We entered the train. "Have you decided what club you wanted to join?" Mia asked as we took our seat.

I shook my head. "I haven't put too much thought into it. How about chess?" I suggested.

Mia arched a brow. "Really? You want to join the chess club?" she asked.

"Why? What's wrong with the chess club?"

"Everything. What's the point of joining the chess club when the whole purpose of the bucket list was to do something exciting? Remember, you want to meet different people and find your place."

I was lost.

"You're trying to do things out of the ordinary... well, ordinary for your at least. The people who join the chess club are the people who wants to avoid doing much work and yet looks good on their resume. In reality, it's just us sitting around in the library doing absolutely nothing."

"You seem to know a lot about the chess club," I muttered.

"Obviously. I'm in the chess club."

"Alright, then. What do you suggest? The choir?"

"I heard you sing. For the sake of humanity, let's keep you far away from the stage."

I pouted. I wouldn't say I had a terrible voice. I was no Adele or Taylor Swift, but I wouldn't consider my voice to be a torture to humanity. But I didn't argue. I had no interest in singing. It was the only other club I knew that had potential. It was better than any sport related clubs.