t w e n t y - f i v e

I never felt more afraid of my life when I told dad about Daniel and me when we returned to Gold Coast. We sat on the sofa, side by side, while dad sat on the single chair beside us just staring at Daniel and me with wide eyes.

His expression was unreadable. I couldn't tell whether he was angry or shocked. None of his natural emotional features were showing and it terrified me. It didn't help when dad found out after catching Daniel and I making out in my room.

Then suddenly, dad stood up and walked into the study room without another word.

"Is he having a stroke?" Daniel whispered to me.

"I have no idea." I cleared my throat. "Hey, dad!" I called.

"No dating!" dad randomly yelled.

I jumped in startle and so did Daniel. I glanced at him. "Maybe it's best if you went back home," I whispered.

Daniel didn't even protest. He nodded. "Good idea. Call me when it's done," he whispered before getting up and practically running out of our apartment.

I never saw Daniel be scared one like that before in my life. But at that moment, I was terrified too. I have never heard dad yell like that before. Was he really that upset of Daniel and I being more than friends? Or was he upset that we were on a holiday together and something happened? Wait, did he think we did it?

My eyes widened in shock. I should've waited a few weeks before telling him. Well, he did walk on us in my room. We were trying to be discreet. Apparently not discreet enough. Oh, God, this was so embarrassing.

Abruptly, I saw dad pop his head from the hallway and peered into the lounge room. His eyes met mine. "Did he shit his pants?" dad asked eagerly.

"What?"

Dad entered the lounge room, looking at the door with a proud smile on his lips. "Did he run away? It sounded like he ran away."

"You did that on purpose?"

Dad looked at me as if I said the most stupidest thing in the world. "Obviously. Do you know how long I've been waiting to scare your boyfriends?" He had to be kidding me. I should've known this was going to happen.

"Seriously?"

Dad sat down on the sofa in front of me. "Tell me what his reaction like. He looked so scared when I caught you two." Why was he so happy about this? I was beginning to think something was wrong with dad's brain.

"Wait a minute. Did you hope for this to happen? Let us go on a holiday together just so you can scare him later?"

Dad shook his head with a scoff. "Please, I have other plans for that," he said leaning back on the sofa. He crossed his leg over the other and stared at me with a stern expression. "You went on a holiday with your boyfriend and lied to me that he was just your friend?"

Wait, what was happening now? He gave me permission to go. He even encouraged me last term to go out with him. He thought I liked him and that he like me! Why was he acting like I just manipulated him?

"We did go as friends," I frowned. "We only started—uh—realising we liked each other during the trip," I mumbled quietly. I was nervous again.

"You really think I'm going to believe that?" he asked with an arched brow. He knew that was the truth! Unless he thought we were dating before we went on the trip and he finally could reveal he knew. It was like he planned for all this. "You are grounded, young lady. Now go to your room!"

I stared at him blankly. This was one of those again, wasn't it? His dream as a strict father to yell at me for doing average teenager things. Why was my dad so weird?