F I F T E E N

I looked up at my tall apartment building from the car. Frowning deeply. I didn't want to go back in there. To walk up to my apartment that was all off by itself. Have it all clean and no trace of any living thing in sight.

"I need a dog." I said turning around to face Troy.

"A dog?" He asked putting the car in park.

I nodded.

"Then for sure you'll be a rich snob."

I glared at him and he chuckled.

He had always teased me about being rich and I always told him at least I wasn't a rich snob, aka my mother. He always jut replied with yet. And although we both knew we were joking I still was afraid of that happening of me closing myself off to everyone and just growing old with so much money I waste it on useless things.

"Let's go get me a dog." I said hitting the dashboard.

"You are for reals about this." He laughed.

I stared at him with a serious expression on my face.

"For reals."

He started laughing harder as he put the car into drive and got back onto the busy streets of New York.

"Do I even dare ask what happened back there?" He asked after a moment of silence.

I chuckled. "You make it sound like I just go back from a war zone."

"You kind of did. Your whole family is and I've never even met Tate."

I sighed.

I told Troy everything. First time I moved into this apartment I was broken. Troy always went out of his way to make my day just a little better. When ever I walked out the door he would say some,thing stupid just to get me to smile. And he always, always asks me how my day is, and what made it that way.

He was like my unpaid therapist.

To my surprise he has actually been through a lot in his life so he gives great advice.

"You grew up in a country feel town right?" I asked him.

"A small town, wasn't really country. Not everyone wore cowboy boots and fixed tractors all day."

"Not the point." I said waving him off. "Where Tate lives is a small town and they are all like one big family. It's just nice to know someone has your back."

"Ah you don't like that about the big apple."

I shook my head.

"I don't like that I live in a huge apartment all by myself, I never even have to clean it really because I'm never even there."

He nodded and I continued.

"In Kelton the Clarke's house is always a mess. There's always something going on. Whether Halsey's cooking, or Rowdy and Dusty are playing. There's always something that's-" I paused. "Alive in that house."

"Some people like to be by the selfs though." Troy said looking at me out of the corner of his eye. "They enjoy keeping to them selfs and have a clean house, that's dead. I guess." He chuckled at his won choice of words.

"That true, but it's defiantly not for me and I wish I could change it."

"Your the only one who can."

I opened my mouth to protest when I realized he was right. I am the only one who can change things in my life.

Before I could think any further or deeper Troy pulled up to a pet shelter.

"You positive you want to do this?" He asked taking the keys out. "It's a big responsibility and I don't know if you change handle it."

He turned looking at me with a goofy smile.

I laughed out loud hitting his shoulder.

"You sound like your my dad or something."

He chuckled.

With that we both got out and walked in. I headed straight for the back towards the dog kennels.

"You probably want something small." Troy said as he started walking ahead of me.

I looked in every cage and pet every dog that came up to me. I stop at one bigger dog that reminded me of Sage. I sighed frowning.

"What about a Yorkie." Troy called.

I walked down the isle stopping at the pen Troy was standing at. There was a small light brown Yorkie, and I instantly fell in love.

"Oh my gosh yes!" I cried sticking my fingers through the door to pet him.

Tory smiled walking off to go find a employee. The puppy melted in my hands I felt bad I couldn't buy all of the dogs here. They barely get any attention.

"This is the one you want?" A girl with a blue shirt that said Sally's Shelter on it asked.

I nodded taking a step back to let her open the door and get the dog out.

She handed him to me and I started scratching behind his ears as I followed the lady up front to get the adoption papers filled out. In the mean time I sent Troy to go get everything I'll need for this new attention to my messed up life.

Once I paid for it all and we walked out with our hands full of bags.

"This dog is going to be spoilt." Troy said as he started unloading the bags into the back seat.

"Well he deserves it." I shrugged.

Troy chuckled.

"I think we need to make one more stop."

Troy looked over at me confused. I ignored him and started to give him directions. I don't even know the last time I had been here. I live in such a big famous city and I haven't even been to half of the famous stuff.

"Central Park." Troy read from the sign that he parked in front of. "What has gotten into you?"

I gave him a small smile climbing out and grabbing my new dog which still didn't have a name.

"What should I name him?" I asked as Troy fell into step with me.

Troy thought for a moment.

"I like Sam."

"Oh, Sammy. That's cute."

Tory smiled as I lead Sammy around the green grass. We found a bench to sit on and Troy was having fun teaching Sam how to play fetch.

He got down on all fours and waved one of the many today we bought around, while same jumped up to get. And man could he jump high.

Finally Troy sat down beside me letting out a breath. He smiled looking over at me and I looked over at him.

"Emma." He said slowly his eyes shifting from me to Sammy before returning back to me.

"What happened back in Utah?"

I stiffened. I didn't want to answer that question. I didn't want to repeat it all a third time. Telling it all to that stranger on the plane was enough. I won't ever see him again. But telling it to Troy he could judge me of things I know I should have done another way.

"Nothing."