Chapter 21 Anna

Reyna

~~~

Jade's face twists into one of confusion as I run up and embrace her. Her arms stay still at her side and she doesn't hug back.

After a horrible second realization sinks in.

Jade wasn't this short.

Jade's hair was longer.

Jade's eyes were brighter.

Jade is dead.

I yank away instantly and stumble backwards.

This isn't Jade.

"Who the hell are you?" I growl angrily. I feel stupid for letting my hopes raise and rage for someone looking so much like her.

"I'm Anna," she says and holds out her hands towards me. I flinch back from her. "Anna Beck."

"Impossible," I state. Jade told me about her sister who ran away, but this can't be her.

"It's me, I'm Anna. I came back when I heard about Jade," Anna continues and tears threaten to pour from my eyes. Anna looks so much like Jade it's painful.

"Reyna we should go," Bella murmurs to me and tugs on my hand. I nod wordlessly and force my eyes away from Anna.

"Agreed," I deadpan and stomp right out of the house. A million questions are added to my already conflicted mind but I choose to ignore them.

I don't care if Anna is Jade's sister, I'm not seeing her again.

~~~

As soon as my room door is shut behind me I fall into my bed and screech into my pillow.

After screaming till my voice goes hoarse I get up and look in the mirror.

Mascara is running down my face along with my tears. My hair is flat and my skin looks sickly. My hand runs through my hair and I frown.

I've completely lost control of my life.

Looking at my own reflection sparks a deep fury and I let out an animalistic scream before slamming my fist into the glass. It shatters and shards go everywhere.

Blood trickles on my knuckles but I don't feel pain. I just feel numb.

Footsteps echo in the hall and before I know what I'm doing I jump out the window and sprint into the dark forest.

I run till my legs burn and my energy is all but spent.

My knees hit the ground and I brokenly sob.

What did I do to deserve this?

I wish the screaming in my head would stop, I want to be at peace.

~~~

Maybe an hour passes before I pick myself up and hunt a deer before returning home.

I have to move on, I have to be strong. This sadness will last forever but I must fight through it.

In my room I find Bella carefully picking up bloody glass with tears on her cheeks.