Chapter 38 Battle Pt. 2

Allie

~~~

My determination instantly shifts despair, shame, and anger. In a second I'm across the campsite and standing next to Bella in a protective stance.

Edward doesn't even have time to address me.

He is edging closer and wearing that same wicked smirk as he did on that night.

"Riley. Listen to me. Victoria's using you, to distract me. But she knows I'll kill you," Edward states bluntly and Riley hesitates. He's obviously surprised to be addressed by Edward and not me.

I want to say so many things but I'm holding my tongue, this is bigger than me.

"Actually, she's glad she won't have to deal with you anymore."

Victoria chooses this time to emerge from the woods and form a triangle with Riley. Edward, Bella, and I are at the apex.

"Don't listen, Riley. I told you about their mind tricks," Victoria murmurs.

"Yes, I can read her mind. That's how I know what she thinks of you. how I know she doesn't love you," Edward counters cleverly.

"He's lying-"

"Her sole purpose for creating you and this army was to avenge her true mate, James. That's all she cares about. Not you. She didn't even care that you didn't want to rape Allie. I know you feel guilty about that Riley." I flinch at the mention and Riley is starting to hesitate and glance at Victoria questioningly.

"I did that for us. There's only you. You know that," Victoria lies but it works on Riley, he refocuses. Victoria is staring straight at Bella her eyes filled with bloodlust and revenge.

"Think about it. You're from Forks, you know the area. That's why she picked you. She's using you like she's using the rest of them." Riley falters ever so slightly as doubt seeps in. Victoria holds a convincingly emotional face.

"Riley, Don't let him do this to us. I love you." Riley believes her and turns with red hot rage towards Edward.

"You're dead." Riley charges towards Edward and I cower back but stay in front of Edward. That face, that rage, it's too familiar, too haunting.

A small wolf leaps from the cliff and lands on Riley tearing a chunk out of Riley'a hand.

I can't help but let out a small screech of surprise.

Riley roars with fury and pain as the wolf circles back for another attack.

"Stay with Bella," Edward orders to me and starts towards Victoria. She is backing towards the trees so Edward leaps into her path.

"You can escape. You always do. But you'll never get another chance like this." Victoria hisses and continues backing away. "Don't you want her? Don't you want me to feel the pain you felt when I ripped him to pieces and turned him into ashes...into nothing." Victoria erupts in anger and slides towards Bella but Edward intercepts her. They roll both gripping each other tight.

"Stay close Bella," I whisper as I watch the fight.

Riley violently kicks the young wolf into the cliff so hard sharp shards of rocks rain down on Bella and I. Before any can hit her I hold my arms over her head and shield her. I can take the small blows.