3

HEADLINES
...
..
.

If it were not for Theodore's newspaper clippings (which he sent via owl every month), Charlotte would have no idea what was going on in the Wizarding World. Most of it wasn't useful. Gossip about Albus Dumbledore's 'conspiracy theories', Rita Skeeter bad-mouthing wizarding celebrities, nothing more.

When the expected updates arrived at the end of June, as she ate her breakfast before a long day of exams, she didn't expect her friends to be at the forefront of the media. The clippings includes the following headlines:

DARK LORD RETURNS

TIME TURNERS DESTROYED

DEATH EATER ARRESTS

BLACK NAME CLEARED

CAECUS INVENTS NEW SPELL?

Charlotte skimmed through the articles she deemed relevant to her, and frowned at one name on the arrest list, Theodore's father. She read about the infamous Sirius Black, and how he has now been found innocent of his crimes after coming so close to death for the Order of the Phoenix.

She couldn't deny that most of what she read was confusing. But she decided not to dwell on it. She was to sit both her English Literature and Biology exam that day, and couldn't afford to be distracted, especially if she wanted to succeed.

One more day, she told herself. One more day of exams, then she could relax and have the best summer ever.

"Have you taken your meds today, Charlie?" Richard asked as she munched on a croissant.

"Yes, of course," she answered, mouth still full. As someone who was both overly nervous and suffering from ADHD, she constantly had to knock down pills simply to be able to get out of bed. "It's not like I have a choice."

"You always have a choice."

"No, I don't," Charlotte corrected. "Because if I don't take them, then I can't focus, and if I can't focus then I can't pass, and if I can't pass then-"

"Breathe," Richard said with a kind laugh, and Charlotte stopped herself, taking a deep breath in, and out. In, and out. "There. That's better isn't it."

"Loads," she answered, with a breathy laugh. This wasn't the first time her father had had to remind her to breathe. Breathing wasn't always her main concern.

Charlotte stood up from her seat at the breakfast table and made her way to the hall where she put on and laced up her black brogues. She hated the fact that she had to wear uniform for exams, even though she wasn't really a student at the school any more. Not technically.

"Oh, by the way," Richard called from the kitchen, as she checked herself in the mirror by the front door. "There'll be a surprise for you after school!"

"What kind of surprise?" she asked, rolling up her skirt only to be answered with a laugh.

"You'll see!"

.
..
...

Hi everyone! This update is shorter than the usual, but there will be a few super short chapters like this, the purpose of which is simply to keep you up to date with what's happening in the Wizarding World, since a lot changes in Caecus.

In case you're confused, the battle of the department of mysteries happened as usual, the only difference being that Sirius Black was saved by Zara.

Hope it makes sense to anyone who hasn't read Caecus, but just in case, you should try to read that to just clarify anything.

Please consider leaving a vote and/or comment if you want, it means the absolute world to me.

-Amber.

qotd: favourite song?
aotd: i have too many to count.