13

STARS
...
..
.

"Can I go out?" Charlotte asked kissing her father's cheek as he fastened a black tie around the the collar of a crisp white shirt. Richard simply shrugged, nodding and she grinned, expressing her thanks before turning to walk away. Then she spun back around again, with a confused frown. "Why are you getting all dressed up?"

"Just going to eat," Richard shrugged, and Charlotte raised a knowing eyebrow. He'd shrugged twice in a row now, it was the sort of shrug that meant he didn't want her to press- so she would.

"Where?" She grinned.

"Some Italian place in town."

Charlotte stepped forward and sniffed dramatically. "Cologne, dressing up... Are you going on date?"

"Perfume, that pretty white skirt you love... Are you?" Richard replied, cheekily, grinning in that fatherly way that made her blush with embarrassment, before combing his dark hair.

"Guilty as charged," she admitted, holding up her hands in surrender.

"I guess it went well with Harry, then?"

"It did," Charlotte nodded, and then fell silent. Richard put his comb in his pocket and turned to face her, frowning in concern. She sighed. "He started getting worried, afterwards. About who might have saw and what they might do and-"

"Shame?"

"No, although I thought so at first," she clarified. "Sort of... Fear? 'Cause I could get massively hurt getting involved with a boy like him, and he obviously knows it."

Richard tensed slightly and so did Charlotte. Oh no. Maybe it hadn't quite occurred to him that she was putting herself in danger, maybe he doesn't approve of that fact, maybe she's disappointed him by being so reckless and that made her stomach churn. She never wanted to disappoint her father, who had done so much for her, and given her so much love and care.

"So why get involved with him in the first place?" Richard asked carefully, treading on eggshells. "When you know that there's so many risks surrounding him?"

"Why did you get involved with Marilyn, when you knew she had a murderer for a husband?" Charlotte challenged, before looking down at her high heeled feet and mumbling: "Because he makes me happy. And even though I'm at risk he makes me feel safe. He's kind, funny- you've met him, you know what I mean. I dunno, Dad. I just really, really like this one."

Richard seemed to consider this for a moment, before opening his arms and she hugged him, careful not to get her makeup on his shirt.

"That's fair enough," he replied, pulling away but keeping his hands on her shoulders. "But ground rules: when he comes around, you have to keep the bedroom door open, and at least Theodore or me have to be in the house. When you go to his, same thing- door open, other people in the house. You can't stay out past ten o'clock, don't let him pressure you into strange wizard potions or alcohol. If he touches you when you don't want him to, kick him in the balls and call me. And I have to meet his parents."

"Alright," she nodded. "But I'll have to take you to a cemetery for that last one." Richard's eyes widened and he let out a small oh. Charlotte grinned. "He's staying with his Godfather at the minute though, I'm sure that counts."