31

REVERANCE
...
..
.

'Their friends' turned out to be a nonchalant form class of about seven teenagers, the rest of whom were either absent or very, very late. Charlotte sat down beside Isaac on a table of four, where two other girls sat. Their names were Robin and Sophie, Isaac told her, and then leaned in to tell her in ear that they were best friends since birth, and didn't speak to anyone but each other.

"Kinda like silent twins," he said, before pulling away. Charlotte ignored him, and pulled out a notebook from her bag and began doodling. Isaac pulled out his own, and wrote a to-do list.

History research []
Eucharist rehearsal []
1982 French past paper []

"The '82 exam was tough," Charlotte said, as she drew. "I feel sorry for all the kids who sat it that year."

"You've done it?" Isaac asked, with mild shock. But he seemed slightly impressed- which Charlotte hated. "Most people stop at '90, maybe '85 at a push."

"I've had a lot of free time lately," Charlotte said, thinking back to the days in her old house, where her and Gretel spent hours each day on past exams which the lady would travel to borrow from the library a town over, often escorted by Sirius or Remus, since muggle travel in their old town was no longer available. "I've gone all the way back to '73- they're not the same type of paper but..." she hesitated. "I like the practice- it's quite fun."

"Agree!" Isaac exclaimed, excitedly. "I really don't get people who don't enjoy their subjects, you know- it's not like younger years where they were compulsory, we have a choice now so why would you pick anything you don't love practicing?"

Charlotte hummed and nodded, although she wasn't in total agreement- French was the only one of her subjects she truly felt was a hobby as well as a requirement.

"I'm really glad you moved here, Marie!" Isaac grinned, and she forced herself to smile back at him. "Those are pretty, by the way."

Charlotte glanced back down at her doodles. Flowers began to fill the page, tulips and roses and lilies. "Thanks."

"They're really detailed," he added. "Do you draw a lot of flowers?"

"No, but I used to garden," she sighed. "I know plants quite well. But our new place hasn't got a speck of grass."

"You should start up a gardening club or something," Isaac suggested. "On the school field? The younger years would love it."

"I'll see how much time I have," Charlotte lied. "Maybe after Christmas."

At that point, their form tutor, a ginger-haired art teacher by the name of Miss Carney began the register. David Alcon? Absent. Emma Davison? Present, but hasn't turned up to class yet. Marie Dubost?

Charlotte once again didn't register her new name. Isaac nudged her, and she looked at him, confused. He nodded his head toward Miss Carney who looked at her expectantly.

"Marie. This is the register," she smiled, and Charlotte felt herself blush with embarrassment. "Let's try again. Marie Dubost?"

"Yes, Miss Carney," she said quickly, as Miss ticked off her name. Charlotte immediately ducked her head, feeling Robin and Sophie's eyes on her, before they both turned to each other in perfect synchronisation, and giggled.