11

italic speech is spoken in french.

STATIC
...
..
.

Harry had left a month ago, and Charlotte missed him more than anything. She'd gone back to school the day after the others had left for Hogwarts and settled into the flow of her new years work, no matter how difficult it was for her to concentrate, even though she had only picked the subjects she loved for her last two years- Physics, Biology, Chemistry and, of course, French (there was no way she would turn down yet another A*, and Universities didn't have to know it was her grandmother's native language).

But this week she wasn't going to school. This week she felt too pathetic to do anything, because nobody seemed to want to write to her, and the loneliness was somewhat unbearable, especially since she was often around hundreds of people everyday, none of which being the people she missed. Sure, Theodore had kept up his weekly letters and newspaper clippings, but even those seemed to lack effort now. Zara hadn't written yet, but she still expected a letter soon.

Harry had written to her once though, a short, sweet letter, despite his promises to write every fortnight, and Charlotte kicked herself for ever thinking he would keep in touch so often. He was a celebrity- a hero, he didn't have time for the likes of her,
not in his busy life. And yet she was grateful, for what little contact with him she did have. His letter was nothing spectacular, just a quick "Hello, how are you? Sorry for not writing, I've been fighting a fucked up war with my Headmaster. See you soon!"

Okay, perhaps that was downplaying it a little, and the true words were not so forward, but Charlotte figured that was close enough. And although she appreciated the effort of both her crush, and her brother, the lack of it on their part did make her feel unimportant.

Instead she directed her attention to Rosalíne Dubost, her wonderful grandmother, who usually lived in London but had come to her home immediately once called. Rosalíne was the very essence of ethereal, still stylish and full of vitality despite her just passing the age of fifty. Rosalíne was Charlotte's only female role model, and she couldn't have ever wished for a better one. This woman had raised her mother, and had practically raised her too. For Charlotte, Rosalíne filled the role of mother, and for Rosalíne, Charlotte filled the role of daughter.

Plus she made the best crépes.

"Dad would die if he knew I was out of school," Charlotte grinned, speaking French as she savoured her lemon and sugar crepes, and sipping her homemade rosewater. Her grandmother sure new how to plate up in the classiest way possible, and she almost always felt like a Parisian when eating with her.

"Shh," Rosalíne smiled, accent thick and blue eyes bright, the kind you could light up a room with. "What Dick doesn't know won't hurt him."

Charlotte laughed, a rush of admiration coming over her as her grandmother sipped on her glass. Harry's letter still lay in front of her, slightly crumpled and tear stained from the amount of times she'd read it and cried because of how much it hurt her heart to miss him.

Lottie, it read.

How are you? I hope you're doing well. I'm cool, but school life is fairly uneventful. I spend my time doing schoolwork and playing Quidditch, as well as in my Headmaster's office. Don't worry, I'm a model pupil who would never be in there for causing trouble, of course, but instead I have to spend hours doing top secret business. I know I'm  being vague, but I can't reveal much, since owls can be intercepted, and Hedwig definitely does stand out.