18

UNITED
...
..
.

The spring weather was warm and blossom filled the streets but the Cardleman house was cold. Charlotte had wanted to visit the cemetery, visit her almost-mother at her grave- it was her death anniversary after all- but that was out of bounds. Marilyn Nott was buried in a private graveyard, according to her only son, and so, the family had to settle on wearing all black as their only display of grief.

Her head was muddled and cloudy as they all stood outside her home, while the Order placed protective charms on the building. She'd broken down only minutes previously, the combination of her mental condition and grief causing her to blow up on the people she loved- she'd have to find a way to apologise to them all. She'd been panicking at the thought of the rest of the town being left vunerable, at the thought of any other innocents dying, and took it out on her friend, her boyfriend and her brother.

She felt horrible about it. At least Theodore had lost his temper too, ranting about how death is normal, at least Zara had dismissed her when she'd mentioned protecting Flynn- an action that merited her harsh words, but Harry... Harry had been calm, and collected and Charlotte couldn't bring herself to shout anymore.

Instead, she pulled him into a hug, and held him tightly, hands clutching onto the fabric of his shirt as he buried his head into her neck. That had all happened mere moments ago and yet they'd stood there for so long that everyone else had gone: Zara and Theodore (separately, the latter had mentioned there being a 'bump in the road' of their relationship), her father and Sirius as well as all the Order members.

"So today isn't a good day," Harry said, gently, and she nodded. "You're grieving. You don't ever want to have to grieve for anyone again."

She said nothing for a moment, simply closing her eyes. When she spoke, her voice was hoarse as she looked up at him. "The world's grey."

"I know," Harry put a hand on her cheek, and she fell for him. "Tell me about Marilyn- it helps."

Charlotte took a shaky breath. "She was gorgeous. Her hair was blonder than mine, and she was always wearing something that was yellow. When I first met her I thought I knew why my dad liked her. She was young and pretty, and-" she laughed. "So was he- he was dating quite a lot at this point, I don't understand how anyone could ever fancy my dad, but anyway, I thought that was why he liked her. But I was wrong- he liked her because of those things, of course, but he loved her for her kindness, and her creativity, her ambition and her intelligence."

"She sounds wonderful."

"She was," she smiled. "I saw true love at the age of nine, and I wondered if I'd ever find that. But I won't deny that there were years when I questioned its existence, those years where we didn't know what had happened to her. And then, when we did, I questioned whether it could ever work out- love."

"And what do you think now?"

"I have no idea," she lied. "What Marilyn and my dad had... I have no idea if there ever was anything like it, or if there ever will be again."

"I think there might be," Harry said quietly, and she found that her breath caught in her throat. "It's impossible that there isn't."

There was a long silence as unspoken words passed between them, as she looked into his earth green eyes. Then he averted his gaze, clearing his throat and she did the same, ending their embrace, but keeping their distance small.

"She didn't share my blood but," she took another shaky breath. "She was the only thing- beside my Grandma Rosalíne- close to a mother I ever had. But Grandma is always off doing her business. When she's not here, she's in London. When she's not in London she's in Australia, or South Africa, travelling with a circus or something, bless her heart. But Marilyn... she was as constant as I was going to get."

Harry took her hand, and began drawing shapes on the back of it. "Her love is still alive. It's in all of you."

"You comfort me too often," Charlotte whispered. "Which is surprising, considering... I dunno." She chewed on her lip. "You're just the bravest person I've ever known."

"I think it's vice versa," he laughed, cheeks pink and she rolled her eyes. Then he tilted up her chin and leaned down and kissed her and her feet were solidly in the air and the world was colourful.

~

"I don't need counselling," Theodore said, stubbornly as the family sat on the couch watching Saturday night television.

"I'm not saying that," said Richard, gently. "All I'm saying is, that it might help, to talk. As a family."

Charlotte chewed on her lip and didn't speak, avoiding conflict by putting in her earphones. Until her father reached over to pull them out, giving her a stern look.

"I don't want to talk about it," Theodore said simply and Richard sighed in frustration.

"I'm your guardian now. All I want..." he sighed once more. "It's good for you, Theodore."

"It's not."

"Have you ever even tried?" Richard asked, loudly, voice cracking slightly.

"Yes!" Theodore stood from the settee. "I tried countless times. It doesn't. Work."

"Well, I've never tried a day in my life! I haven't said her name in years!" Richard was stood up now. "Has it ever occurred to you, that this is a fresh wound for us? Damn it, this family can't even talk to each other!"

"Dad," Charlotte said gently, standing up, because she was the only one left sitting down. "Dad, it's alright."

"No, it isn't, Charlie," he said. "And it hasn't been for years."

"You're right, Richard," Theodore nodded. "We probably should talk about it all. I've... I'm being insensitive."

"I don't want to force you to do anything- either of you," her father said. "I just don't want us to be as disconnected as we have been today. I don't want this to stick. I don't want it to become habit."

"It won't," Charlotte said, putting her arms around both men and pulling them into a group hug, where they laughed as she kissed their cheeks. "See? Now we're united- literally!"

...
..
.

Hello everyone!
Happy New Year! If you're up to date on Caecus you'll know that there's going to be some heartbreaking shit happening soon so y'all best absorb this fluff whilst you can yayayayay!

QOTD: favourite YouTuber(s)?
AOTD: Dodie Clark (doddleoddle), Lucy Moon (meowitslucy) and Jenna Moreci atm!

QOTD: favourite YouTuber(s)?AOTD: Dodie Clark (doddleoddle), Lucy Moon (meowitslucy) and Jenna Moreci atm!