37

CORNERED
...
..
.

The lights were harsh and hot. Charlotte caught a glimpse of her own shiny reflection in the lightbulb of large old fashioned camera, seconds before it flashed. She would look oily and dirty in these photos, and she wanted nothing more than to powder her face- make herself a little more presentable. But then she would look prestige and high maintenance, and the whole point was to be approachable.

Harry sat calmly beside her, looking impeccable despite his lack of effort- although, she did have to remind him to iron his shirt before they left. His hair wasn't styled, as there wasn't any point in trying, but his skin was fresh and cleanly shaved, and although his suit wasn't particularly flashy, Charlotte would be the first to admit he looked quite... good in it.

She placed her shaky hands palm down on the cool table in front of them, and Harry immediately placed his right over her left, keeping it steady as he held her hand reassuringly. She gave him a grateful smile.

"So, Charlotte," a woman with curly blonde hair and a peculiar green outfit said, a floating quill and notepad scribbling furiously beside her. Her badge read the name Rita Skeeter. "How does it feel to have the Chosen One as... 'arm candy' as you Muggles may say- must be everything you ever wished for I'm sure- rich, powerful, magical-"

"I- er..." Her throat was suddenly very dry. Harry is squeezed her hand gently. She swallowed. "I don't care about any of that," Charlotte said, eventually. "Frankly I didn't even know about the money when I met him, and he certainly wasn't powerful. Of course, Harry is a hero, there's no denying it."

"Lottie," Harry laughed awkwardly. "I'd hardly call myself a hero."

"No, you are," Charlotte said, dismissing Harry's objections. "Harry has saved your world and mine. Even when you all ambushed him with slander and hearsay, calling him liar and murderer. And still, he has never asked any of us for any thanks. I'll always admire his achievements, but they're not all I love him for."

Charlotte could feel Harry's eyes on her, and when she glanced at him he wore a look of embarrassment, and disbelief, but above all, love. She had waited years for somebody to look at her with love.

When Charlotte looked back at the crowd, the woman who questioned her looked flustered, tucking stray hairs away. "But, still, you must benefit from it-"

"Rita I seem to remember you having a little..." Harry pretended to think for a moment. "Bug problem? Have you sorted it?"

With that, Skeeter gasped, struggling to think of a reply, before she sat down hastily, huffing as she went. Charlotte glanced at Harry with a curious smile.

"What was that?"

"Long story," he whispered in her ear. "Let's just say Rita Skeeter isn't used to others having dirt on her for once."

Harry then addressed the room again. "The truth is, she can call me a hero all she likes, but Charlotte Cardleman is a stronger person than I'll ever be. And you could all give me a billion and one arguments against that, but I'd have two billion to counter it."

"Strong words Mr Potter!" The voice in the crowd was impossible to identify. Charlotte could feel her cheeks going red- great, now she'd look even worse.

"That's exactly why I use them, Mr Smudgely," Harry retorted. "I've always had magic on my side. Even when I was a kid- I've never been in a situation where my opponent has had something I don't. It's always, they have a wand and I have a wand. They have nerve and I have more. But Charlotte is a different kind of brave. She stays strong in the face of... torture and cruelty, even when she is overpowered she stays resilient. I would never be able to do that."