4

SURPRISE!
...
..
.

"Charlotte, that may have been our last exam but that doesn't mean we won't be coming back in September," Flynn said as the two friends waltzed out of school. "You never know what can happen, so don't get too cocky."

The two teens definitely looked like lunatics- their once pristine shirts were covered in the signatures of their peers (Flynn's was the largest on Charlotte's blouse, his name written in huge pink capital letters on her back, and she had done the same for him), and their red and black ties were attached to their heads, Charlotte's in a neat bow, Flynn's slipping off messily.

"Okay, but it's currently June," Charlotte cackled. "Meaning we have two months summer holidays instead of one. And either way, I am not coming back for Year 12, unless I completely fail. College is the way forward for me."

"I'm just gonna wait and see what my grades are," he grinned. "But this summer, we could do so many cool things- like go surfing, or sky diving, or bungee jumping, or-" he cut off his sentence suddenly,  but Charlotte didn't notice.

"Yeah, I'd rather not die this summer, if I'm honest Flynn," she laughed, but he didn't.

"Yeah, probably not," he frowned. "Or Zara Afasy would've come to town for no reason."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Charlotte blurted, turning towards Zara and Theodore who were walking towards them from some metres away.

"Uh oh. I sense social interaction," Flynn said, before dropping the skateboard he held in his hands and gliding away, calling over his shoulder: "I'll text you!"

"Surprise," Zara laughed, showing jazz hands as they reached her. "Did I just see Flynn O'Riley run away from you?"

"Oh, he's a joker, ignore it," Charlotte grinned happily, pulling the pair into her arms. "But seriously what are you doing here?"

"Moving in with you," Theodore answered. "At least I am. You see, my father's been arrested and the Order say I can't live on my own so I wrote a letter to your dad and things worked themselves out."

"And I'm moving back into my parent's cottage," Zara said. "Me and Layth, and Sirius Black. We're not staying in his house any more but we still need supervision and-"

"This is the best news ever," Charlotte squealed. "I can't believe this, I have to throw you all a welcome home party at the café!"

"You really don't have to," Theodore started, but she ignored him.

"We can hang up banners, and I can make bunting, and we can all have as many slices of Dad's apple pie as we like," she rambled, as they began to walk once more. "I'll invite all our regulars, and the neighbours, and you can invite your friends and-"

"Wow, you two really are alike," Theodore stated. "When Zara arrived at Hogwarts she instantly started party planning, threw a bloody ball."

"Hey, you had fun and you know it," Zara laughed and Theodore nodded.

"Yeah, it was a pretty good night."

Charlotte suddenly felt out of place, like she was left out of some huge secret only magical people were allowed to understand. Talk about a third wheel.

"Well," she smiled, regardless of her feelings. "You didn't have me."

"Or Richard's baking skills," Zara agreed.

"Isn't that the truth," Theodore sighed. "I haven't eaten anything from the café for years."

"Correction," Charlotte began. "You haven't lived for seven years."