19

I LOVE YOU
...
..
.

Charlotte didn't have a driver's license. But she's driven before, always with her father in the passenger seat, and taking quiet roads where they were unlikely to be stopped by police. If they did stumble across an officer, Richard would flash them a charming smile and say he was teaching her. It wasn't necessarily a lie, persay, but it wasn't completely the truth.

Now, her father's bad influence had come in handy. She'd begged him to let her borrow the car that night, promising that if she was caught, she'd tell the police that she snuck it of his sight and it was entirely her fault. Richard didn't look convinced, but she'd asked whilst Harry was on the phone, knowing he wouldn't want to cause a scene if the boy could hear.

So he'd given her the keys, and she'd squealed happily, driving to Zara's place and honking the car horn as she pulled up outside. Harry Potter was out of the house in seconds, jogging around to the passenger seat of the car and hopping in, before he pecked her cheek and fastened his seatbelt as she drove off once more.

"You've changed your hair," Harry observed and she grinned, keeping her eyes on the road but running a hand through her newly-dyed auburn locks.

"Thanks for noticing, babe," she said and he laughed.

"It's hard not to," he said. "It's gorgeous- not that the blonde isn't."

"Thanks, but it's temporary is what is," Charlotte told him. "Stole some henna from Zara a while back, never really used it on my hands."

"I'm sure you told me your dad didn't want you changing it," Harry reminded her.

"You've got your mother's hair," She cackled, imitating her father. "Well, apparently, I've got a new mother now so I ought to look like she does, huh?"

"Gretel still in the picture then?" He asked and she groaned, telling him yes. They sat in comfortable quiet as she stopped at a red light, the ticking of the indicator the only sound. "Where are we even going?"

"Funfair," Charlotte told him with a shrug as she pushed up her round sunglasses, which she wore regardless of the dark night. It was a full moon, and the sky was illuminated to the point where you could see the clouds, the streets would likely be navigable without the orange streetlamps.

"Oh," Harry said, slightly surprised. "I didn't know there was one in town."

"There isn't," she told him, as the light turned green. "We're going to the next town over. It's gorgeous, the fair's by the beach and they have the prettiest ferris wheel- ooh, and the tide doesn't even come in that far so there's still tons of sand to walk on, and the fair's open twenty four hours- even at this time of night- and there's this burger place, so cheap but so good- it's gonna be great!"

"Spontaneous," Harry laughed, after she had finished her monologue. She never felt like she was talking too much when she was around him.

"Hardly."

"Are you forgetting that time you forced me into breaking into your school gym?"

"Hey! You wanted to come!"

"Only because it was you asking!" Harry was laughing and it was a beautiful sound. "And what about that time you turned up on our doorstep with treacle tart- or kissed me on the train platform?"