30

ST CASIMIR'S
...
..
.

"Alright just go through it with me again, one more time," Richard said, straightening the yellow bow in Charlotte's hair as she stood in front of him, ready to leave the house.

"My name is Marie Dubost, I'm from Brighton but I've moved up to London for my Dad's new job," Charlotte recited, grumpily. "I attend St Casimir's Church of England High School and I'm retaking lower sixth form after a year of travelling."

"Where did you go?"

"All over Europe, but I loved France the most," she answered. "I'm studying French, History and Sociology for qualifications that won't have my real name on it because I'm in hiding ever since I got kidnapped by sorcerers."

Her father sighed, running a hand through his thinning hair. "I know it's hard sweetheart, but once it's all over, we'll have some people sort it all out for you. Just work hard and finish school, okay? Make friends."

"I don't want friends," Charlotte said, simply. "I have Flynn. And Zara and Layth and Theodore."

And Harry, she thought. However far away he may be.

For the first time, Charlotte would be truly alone. Flynn wouldn't be attending school with her, for the first time in six years. St Casimir's was a very selective school, and so instead Flynn would attend the local comprehensive, which had places available at such short notice. She glanced over to where Flynn sat, hunched over a bowl of cereal he didn't need to eat, dressed in his usual clothing, since his school was uniform free. Unlike hers.

Charlotte sported a yellow tartan skirt, white open necked blouse, yellow socks, black brogues and a yellow woollen school blazer emblazoned with the St Casimir's crest on the breast pocket- a grey squirrel holding a golden acorn, surrounded by Latin text. It was hideous.

Makeup was prohibited, yet Charlotte had still slapped on some lip gloss and mascara. She would build it up as she went on into the year, seeing how much she could get away with until she was caught out.

"Make friends," her father repeated sternly. And she just rolled her eyes, smiling. Richard kissed her forehead before playfully attempting to push her out the door, and she rooted her feet into the ground, pouting like a child.

When Charlotte finally decided it was time to go, Gretel was quick to follow, her slightly enlarged belly protruding from beneath a green shirt. The woman was pregnant, yes, but she would teach for as long as she could.

Gretel Woods was allowed to keep her name. She was unknown to the Death Eaters. Charlotte and Richard Cardleman were not.

"Excited?" Gretel said as they got into their temporary car, and the woman began to drive away from their new home.

Charlotte simply turned on the radio, which had been wired to Potterwatch by Sirius, and rolled down the window. The air was warm, the remnants of summer clinging onto September's fall, but the sun was not visible behind grey clouds.

"Not bothered," she said simply. "You?"

"I am excited actually," Gretel grinned. "Ready to make a change."

"You mean treat children like actual human beings?" Charlotte snorted.

"Hey, I always treated you like humans. But you disrespected me, and I couldn't let that rub off on the whole class," Gretel argued. "But... I did single you out. I'm sorry."