Chapter 5: Unexpected Friendship

I woke up that morning feeling like someone had kicked me in the stomach, the boy who I thought was such a horrible person was the boy who had helped me save Jolteon from dying. How had he turned into such a horrible person? Was it because I disappeared or was it just because now that he was a trainer he choose what pokemon were weak in his opinion? It doesn't matter what does matter is that Paul is my friend and he has been for a while.

I got out of bed and saw Umbreon wasn't in the room. I walked out into the main area of the pokemon center and saw Paul sitting with Umbreon and Fantina.

"So wait you're friends with Kat?" Umbreon asked as I got close.

"Yeah, I never thought this would be the same Kat, I can only imagine how she must feel about me now. After everything we did for Jolteon." I froze and I felt a surge of angry well up inside of me.

"Why didn't you go and check on Jolteon then?" I asked angrily.

"I tried numerous times, your father wouldn't let me see Jolteon or you, he said you went on a vacation to see some relatives in Kanto, but you never came back. I assumed you took Jolteon with you." I frowned.

"It can't be that my father is behind everything....could it?" I muttered and that's when my head throbbed lightly. But unfortunately nothing came to me this time, just a little pain.

"Kat, I want to make up for everything you've seen me do. I lost all sight of anything when you disappeared. I stopped wanting to help pokemon, you were my closest friend and I didn't know what to do anymore, we promised that..." I remembered it like it was only yesterday.

"We promised when we were ten we would go on our journeys together, but since I was a year older I had to wait a year. Paul, you were my friend. Sure I would find it very difficult to be your friend now that I know you treat your pokemon the way you do but I think you can change and I want to see that change for myself, so I know it's a little late but would you want to travel together?" He looked at me stunned and then nodded. "Then it's settled were partners in our travels. But there's one thing we have to do before going on this journey together." He nodded without even having to hear it from me.

"We need to go to Veilstone City."

"And save Jolteon from my father." Umbreon looked between the two of us and smiled a little.

"The most unexpected of friendships. But I could see it working. It seems as if you two probably have conflicting personalities." I giggled a little.

"Just a little." We headed out into the sunlight and I saw Fantina smiling at us as well.

"You all take care and safe travels to you as well." She said we waved as we headed out of the city.

"So Jolteon was really gone when you came to my house?" I asked.

"Yeah, I went there a few days after you disappeared, I got worried and when your father said you and Jolteon were gone I assumed Kanto. So yeah..." I nodded and looked at the ground.

"It's not the most pleasant of experience but I can attempt to explain it to you." He nodded and as we continued onward to Veilstone City I recounted the tale of how we got to this point. Once I was finished he looked at me as if I was a whole new person.

"That's some story, but I could believe it. Something was always strange with your father, he never wanted you to use your abilities outside of the house and I knew he always use to scold you when you did. Veilstone knows all about it, but it was a city kept secret, no one wanted word to get out about the pokemon changing girl. They feared people would come to take you, when people stopped seeing you they blamed your father almost immediately. They all hated the way he treated you, it was as if you were no better than a pokemon." I frowned and shivered a little.

"I wish I could remember..." Paul touched my shoulder and that's when we arrived in the giant city.

"Welcome home, Kat." I saw the looming factory towering over us and I knew for a fact that was where they were keeping Jolteon.

"I wouldn't call this place my home..."