Chapter 22: Home is Where the Heart is

The Sinnoh League ended with Tobias being the winner, but unable to beat Cythina in the end. Cythina really was a good champion. I had to work a lot harder if I wanted to be anything like her. We had called off our battle so I could rest after the Team Rocket incident that had left me in pretty rough shape. 

Paul and I had decided to go back home to Veilstone City, where my mother and brother were waiting happily. 

"Welcome home, Kat." James said as I walked through the door with Umbreon.

"Thanks." I said smiling brightly.

"So are you ready to finally take a break?" My mother asked.

"I am but I'm also not, I heard from Alder the Champion in Unova that there's new pokemon there as well. I can't wait to head over there next, but I need a few weeks to relax." I said laughing. 

"Well then you'll need a new outfit for the new journey ahead of you." She said handing me a box.

"Seriously?! Thanks mom!" I said brightly and opened the box lightly. It was a black shirt with shorts and finally a pink and white hat. "I love it thank you so much!" She smiled lightly.

"I'm glad you like it. But I heard you have a new pokemon, the one that my brother brought you evolved?" I nodded and pulled out a pokeball.

"Sylveon spotlight!" She appeared and smiled happily at me.

"It's beautiful." My mother said.

"I know and she's adorable as well." I hugged her gently. 

She smiled brightly at me as I hugged her. It really was nothing but love I felt for her and all my other pokemon as well. 

"You really love your pokemon don't you?" I heard a familiar voice. I turned my head and saw Zoey standing there with Paul.

"Yeah I do, but what are you doing here Zoey?" I asked confused.

"Well after celebrating becoming a top coordinator I thought it would be fun to have another battle with you. What do you say?" I smiled lightly. 

"You never change, but of course as a Champion and as a Top Coordinator I will accept your challenge." She laughed at my serious voice. We headed outside and my mother, brother and Paul decided to come and watch the exciting battle about to unfold.

"How about a one on one battle?" I said and she nodded. 

"Glameow curtains!" She called out and Glameow appeared brilliantly. 

"Alright then, Sylveon let's go." She jumped forward determined.

"So we finally fight the new Eevee evolution, this will be exciting. Glameow use Thunderbolt!" 

"Sylveon use Fairy Wind!" The wind combined with the Thunderbolt causing a ray of rainbows to fly all around. "Use Moonblast!" She jumped into the air and blasted a bright light down towards Glameow.

"Dodge and use Shadow Claw!" I giggled. 

"Sylveon, use Fairy Wind." She landed on the ground and quickly blast Glameow back with the strong winds. 

"Glameow!"

"Use Take Down!" Sylveon took off full speed at Glameow.

"Use Thunderbolt!" The lightning headed straight for Sylveon.

"Use Fairy Wind around yourself!" The wind blocked the Thunderbolt allowing Sylveon to knock Glameow away with double the power. 

"Glameow!" 

"Glameow is unable to battle, the winner of the battle is Kat." Paul called out as the ref. I smiled at Sylveon who turned and jumped into my arms.

"You did amazing, Sylveon!" She gave a happy cheer and I saw Zoey coming over to us with Glameow. 

"You really do deserve the titles of Top Coordinator and Champion. I didn't stand a chance against you and Sylveon, you two are so in sync." I smiled at Sylveon.

"I think that's a special ability that Sylveon has, being able to understand their trainer without them even having to say anything. I think because Sylveon become Sylveon by the love of their trainer that they develop a strong and unbreakable bond." I said lightly. "At least that's what I think." I added at the end.

"You are so much like my brother." My mother said. 

"Sycamore is something else, he seems so laid back for a pokemon professor, but he seems to understand the way pokemon think as well. There's so much I could learn from him, but I have to visit all over before I go to Kalos. I want to show him everything I've learned between then and now." I said. 

"You never sit still do you? You're already planning a new journey." Zoey said laughing.

"How can I sit still when there's so much I still don't know about me and my pokemon? I have to keep going until there's nothing more I can learn." She seemed surprised by the seriousness in my voice. 

"You are something else, Kat. You're nothing like the scared, timid girl I met when we were kids. You really have grown into a strong independent trainer. I'm happy and proud of you, I know you'll continue to grow as a person with the pokemon you have at your side." She said and we high fived. 

"You can count on it. Until the next time we meet take care of yourself. You too, Glameow." I smiled at her as she turned around with Glameow waving back as she headed away into the sunset. 

"So is it time for dinner?" My mother asked. I smiled brightly.

"You bet it is!" We all laughed and headed inside. 

Sylveon and Umbreon sat together eating happily. It made me happy to see everyone getting along, sometimes there were fights between my pokemon, but we were all a big happy family when it came down to it. We would protect one another without a second thought. Pokemon were really interesting and wonderful creatures and there's so much we still don't know about them, but for some reason I was given the ability to understand and communicate with them. I wonder why. Maybe one day I'll be given the answers to that question, but for now I just have to keep believing I have a bigger purpose than just understand pokemon.