Chapter 5

I felt myself gasping for breath.

Did he just say Elijah Lucia? As in, related to me?

But surely there were other Lucia's in the world, right?

I looked into the unmistakably blue eyes of the man in front of me. They were so like mine, so similar to the blue and shape of my own eyes.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I hissed.

Ok, so maybe that wasn't the best response.

Cain--or Elijah--simply chuckled.

"I'm your uncle, Caley," he said.

Once again, the air was knocked right out of my lungs. You know in those cartoon shows, when the cartoon character's eyes bulge right out of his head? I'm pretty sure my eyes were doing that right now, if it were humanly possible.

"You're lying," I said, resorting to ignorance.

I couldn't believe that this man was actually my uncle, could I? I mean, I had no other family besides my mother and father. Where did this long lost uncle come from?

"On the contrary, I'm telling the whole truth," Elijah said, gazing at me with those blue, blue eyes of his. I shook my head.

"Mom and Dad said I don't have any relatives. They said they don't have any siblings," I said.

"Well, your mother was telling the truth," he said. "Your father, however, was lying."

I gaped at him.

He was related to my father? Of course he was. That's why he had the same last name. That's why he had the same blue eyes. But why hadn't my father mentioned him before? Why did he keep him a secret? Why did he lie to me?

I felt anger bubble up inside of me.

"Why didn't he ever mention you?"I asked, fighting to control my frustration with my father. It seemed like the list of disappointments he offered me was endless.

"Why would he? He hates me," he replied simply. I furrowed my brow at him.

"That still doesn't make any sense," I said. "Why does he hate you?" I asked.

"Well..." Elijah said slowly, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. He intertwined his fingers in front of his face again and peered over them at me. "It could be because I believe in the very thing that he has spent his whole life fighting against," he said.

I realized just now how incredibly soft his voice was. It was almost soothing to listen to, so quiet. I almost had to strain myself to hear him. But underneath that gentleness was something that sent shivers up and down my spine. It made the little hairs on my arms stand up and goosebumps rise up.

"And what is that?" I asked. He smiled eerily at me.

"Dark magic," he replied, his eyes glinting manically.

I felt myself rise to my feet.

Dark magic? This was a mistake. What the hell was I thinking coming here? I should have known I was getting involved in something sinister when I saw the house. Hell, I should have known when I met Gerrard. Even he was the definition of evil.

"Leaving so soon?" Elijah asked.

"I don't think this is a good idea," I said. He raised his eyebrows, but shrugged.

"Pity, I thought you wanted to know about your mother," he said, standing up as well.

He rounded the couch he was sitting on to a table that had drinks on it. He poured himself a glass of crimson red wine and brought the drink up to his lips. I began to walk out of the room, when he said something else.