Chapter 6

"So you're going to California for the summer?" I asked Abbey.

We were both clearing out our room, taking our clothing out from the closets and drawers and throwing them into our suitcases.

"Well, we moved. So I kind of live there now," Abbey replied.

"You moved?" I asked.

"My parents told me at graduation," she told me. I nodded.

"Are you upset?" I asked. She shrugged.

"I thought I was at first, but then I realized I really had no reason to be. You guys are my friends and we're all going to be away in our own homes for the summer anyway. I would have been isolated either way," she said. "But I guess this way, I can at least work on a wicked tan before we go off to college," she added with a wink.

I laughed.

"It'll be weird, though," she said.

"What will?" I asked, folding one of my sweaters neatly and placing it in my bag.

"I'm so used to seeing you all every day. Now I'm going to go three months without seeing any of you," she replied. I pursed my lips. I really didn't want to get into an emotional moment right now.

"Well, it's not like we're not going to see each other ever again," I said, trying to divert Abbey's attention. Her eyes were starting to glaze over, which usually happened when she was about to burst into tears.

"Three months, Caley!" she squeaked.

I groaned internally. Here come the water works.

"It'll go by fast. Three months will be over in no time and then we'll all be back together happily at the University," I said.

"What am I going to do for three months?" she exclaimed, getting slightly hysterical.

"Work on a wicked tan?" I suggested, trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

Now she burst into tears. Oh jeez...

I went up to her and awkwardly place my arm around her shoulder as she sobbed, sputtering things like how much she was going to miss me and how bored she'll be without all of us and how her life wasn't going to be the same. I rolled my eyes. She was such a drama queen sometimes.

Thankfully, at that moment, Lance walked into our room.

"Woah, bad time?" he asked, stopping in the doorway.

"Perfect timing, actually," I said, standing up. "You can take over," I whispered in his ear. He gave me a look.

"Thanks a lot," he said sarcastically.

"She's your girlfriend," I pointed out before leaving the room.

I walked through the open corridors, which were lit up right now by the afternoon sun. I felt strangely at peace as I walked through the quiet halls, the sun shining through the columns. I climbed onto the ledge and leaned against one of the tall stone columns, my face towards the sun.

I gazed out at the school yard in front of me. There were still a few students walking around, hugging and saying their good-byes. We would all meet again soon, in three months time. Only the next time we'd meet, it would be on the campus of Trinity University of Magic, which was located deep within the forests of Salem, Massachusetts.

We would be among our own kind at TUM. There we would meet students our own age and older from all over the world, all there to study one thing: magic. I felt a jolt of excitement turn my stomach over. Finally, I would be able to practice the one thing that defined who I was without restriction. I would learn useful spells besides the basic baby ones we learned the past semester at Trinity High. And not only spells, but we would learn more about the history of magic and how magic came to be.