Chapter 29

Michael's POV

"Complete regret of the mistake will release anyone of their burdens and curses--" I read.

"Bull-shit," I grumbled, tossing the book off the side of my desk.

I leaned forward and ran a hand over my face. This was ridiculous. There was absolutely nothing on how to get rid of curses, specifically, the curse put on my family.

I had observed Caley and Trey during the holidays and the two were closer than ever. At the rate their relationship was proceeding, it was obvious that the two were dreadfully in love. And because they were in love, something bad was bound to destroy their happiness. And I couldn't let that happen. Not to Caley.

I had researched almost all the books I could find about removing curses. I came across healing potions of varying strengths and spells of different accuracies. But this curse was an ancient one. It's counter would not be found in just any old library book. It was most likely hidden somewhere, waiting to be found by the world but only when it was too late.

Or maybe it was completely obvious and I wasn't paying enough attention.

It was infuriating, to say the least. My daughter had a terrible fate awaiting her, just as I had, and I couldn't do anything about it. I could try and tear the two lovers apart, but I knew that I couldn't do that. I saw the look in their eyes when they looked at each other. It was the same look Katerina and I shared on countless occasions.

One of the worst parts about the curse was that I had no idea what would happen to her. Would she die a sudden death? Would she fall irrevocably ill? Would some other person come between them?

By not knowing, I couldn't even prevent anything from happening to her. I couldn't save her.

I sighed and stared out at the grey mid-January day outside.

It seemed like I could never save her.

I spent all my life hiding in the shadows of her life. She had no idea I was present all those years, present but hidden. I had to stay away. Katerina said that would be best for her. But I knew that she had only said that because of the incredible pain it put me through seeing her in her condition. I stood helplessly by as my wife, my one true love, slowly and painfully died.

I pulled open the top drawer and pushed aside a few papers, pulling out the picture of Katerina that I had kept.

"What am I supposed to do, Katerina? You told me to keep her uninvolved with the War and now she's a part of the Order. Now that she knows, there's no shutting her out. And she's only just begun to change her attitude towards me. I think she's finally starting to forgive me, Katerina. She's finally coming around. I just had to be patient. I guess you were right," I said to the picture of the beautiful woman. "You were always right," I whispered.

I looked out at the grey sky from my window. Times were tough now, but they were only going to get worse.

                                                                End of Michael's POV

"So how was your break?" Abbey asked me.

We had all finally settled back in after the holidays and were now sitting around in the common area inside our dorm building.