Chapter 16

"The boys here are hot," Abbey commented as we lounged around under a tree that we claimed as our new "spot".

"You have a boyfriend," I said.

"So? That doesn't mean I can't look," she retorted. I rolled my eyes at her.

"You know, if Lance ever did that, you would bite his head off," I pointed out.

"Well, Lance would never do that. So I wouldn't have to be forced towards cannibalism," Abbey replied.

"You don't know that he wouldn't do that," I said.

"Yes, I do," she argued.

"Why didn't you tell me you guys did it over the summer?" I asked, blurting the question out abruptly.

Abbey's cheeks flushed with color and she immediately looked away from me. At least she had the decency to feel ashamed and guilty.

"I wanted to tell you in person," she muttered.

"I wanted to hear it from you and not Lance," I said. She frowned.

"I told him not to tell you..." she said.

"Well, clearly he has good listening skills," I said sarcastically.

"Look, I was going to tell you. It's just not something I wanted to discuss over the phone," she said.

"I would have thought that the person you refer to as your best friend would be the first to know of such a landmark stride in your relationship, but I guess I was mistaken," I continued, ignoring what Abbey was saying.

I actually wasn't that angry. I just wanted to see how far I could push Abbey before she would break. I knew it would be soon.

"I told you! I wanted to tell you in person! So that we could discuss it face to face!" she exclaimed, defending herself strongly.

I sighed dramatically.

"It's all right; you don't have to make up excuses. I see how little significance I have in your life. I guess I'm just far too inferior to be in your inner circle. What a shame. And I thought we were best friends," I kept going.

Abbey glared at me now. I kept the serious and hurt expression on mine, although it was difficult to maintain.

"You are such a bull shitter, Caley," she said. I smirked now.

"Seriously, though. I am kind of peeved that I heard it from Lance first and not you," I said.

"It's not my fault he's got a mouth the size of the world," she grumbled. I chuckled.

"I'm only messing with you," I said.

"I know. You're so annoying," she replied. I snickered.

"So, are you going to give me the dirty, juicy details that I don't want to know?" I asked.

"I think secretly you're really fascinated with my love life, but you just don't want to admit your guilty pleasure," she said. I let out a bark of laughter.

"Hah! As if!" I cried.

"Denial," she said simply. I stuck my tongue out at her and she returned the childish gesture.

"What are you girls fighting about now?" Lance asked, coming up with Trey.

"Go away. I'm not speaking with you," I said to him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm guessing she found out," Trey said, chuckling as he sat down next to me. I widened my eyes.

"He knew! Really?! Are you joking?!" I cried.