Chapter 7

SHOUT OUT to HunnayCakes for the AMAZING book cover!

I sat on my bed, the covers pulled up around me. Mr. Tomkins was sitting next to me, protecting me with all the ferocity that a teddy bear holds.

I had already unpacked my things, which were already all over the place. The light from the glass-covered pool in the center of my room was on and glowing. My fish were still alive, miraculously. I had no idea how. No one was home to feed them or clean out the pool. But I guess since my father had created the pool from magic, it had some magical qualities about it. Maybe it had the ability to self-clean and provide for its inhabitants.

Dinner with my father had been excruaciating. It was quiet and awkward. At school, and during Thanksgiving break, I was able to avoid my father. But now, I would have to have meals with him everyday, which meant that I couldn't hold my silence up too long. I would have to cool my anger and talk to him. 

At dinner that night, he had tried to talk to me.

"So, I'm off all week," he told me. I raised my eyebrows.

"I thought you were off all summer," I said, trying to keep my tone conversational. I knew that he was trying. I had to at least respect that, even if I didn't want to.

"Caley, I'm the dean of two schools, one of which is a University. I've got a lot of work to do. You may be on vacation, but I most definitely am not," he said.

"Oh," was all I said.

I didn't realize that he would be working during the summer. I just thought that since schools were closed for the summer, that he wouldn't have any work to do. But he probably had meetings to attend to and plans to create.

I guess one good thing would come out of that: I wouldn't have to come up with plans to sneak out of the flat to go meet with Elijah. Once I found out what my father's work schedule was, I could manage my own agenda from there. This way, my father would have no idea what was going on and I would be able to do whatever I wanted.

It was perfect.

At the moment, I was in bed, but I wasn't sleepy. My mind was elsewhere, wandering from thoughts of Trey to thoughts of the summer I had ahead of me.

Gerrard had sent me an anonymous message earlier that evening after Trey had left and before I was to leave for home.

I was supposed to meet him in the back alley of the mall five days from now. My excuse would be that I was dying of boredom, wanted to watch a movie, and look for a new bathing suit. I guess all of that would take enough time for Elijah to have his meeting with me.

I felt my stomach turn at the thought of the meetings that I would have with Elijah. I wasn't told what exactly these would be, but I knew that Elijah wasn't done with me yet. There was a lot that I still needed to know, not only about my mother, but about the Trinity of Magic. There was a whole other world outside of Trinity High that I had no idea about. I wondered if anyone knew about it. Why did my father want to keep it a secret?

"Good night, Caley," I heard my father call from his room. I heard the door close and sighed.

I looked at the side table next to me, the one with the picture of me as a child holding Mr. Tomkins. I had placed the baby blue envelope my father had given me on the table. I was waiting until my father fell asleep to open it. I was afraid that whatever was in there would surely make me cry. It was from my mother, after all.