Chapter 13

"Back from your little vacation?"

Those were the first words Elijah said to me when I entered the drawing room. I was a little surprised to see that the curtains were pulled back and a stream of the afternoon light filtered through the windows, brightening the room. It made the otherwise eerie room look almost elegant, in an ancient sort of way.

"Clearly," I replied, throwing myself onto one of the couches.

"Have you had time to think about what Dominic told you about being the double agent?" he asked me, getting straight to business.

"About that..." I started, leaning forward. "I'm not entirely sure about how well I'd be able to pull that off. I'm not the best actress and my boyfriend can read me pretty well," I explained.

"Well, you really don't have a choice, Caley," Elijah said.

"Excuse me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure I have all the choice in the world. You can't kill me. You need me," I said.

"No, I only need you if you will serve on our side. And that means as a spy. If you are not willing to do that, then I have no use for you," he replied viciously. I felt my heart pound in my chest.

Was he serious? He would kill me if I refused to act as a spy? I still wanted to work for him, but I didn't know how well I could play the role of a spy. I didn't know how to lie and deceive. I was a terrible actress. My father could very well read my mind and figure out Elijah's plan. Then everything would be ruined.

I relayed this concern to Elijah, but he shook his head.

"He won't find out because I will personally train you on how to shut your mind off to others. Trust me, by the end of the summer, your mind will be like a prison with impenetrable walls. No one will be able to get into it," he said.

I felt uneasy about Elijah instructing me himself. To be honest, Elijah scared me. He had overly pale skin and an overall sunken look to his face. It was almost as if he never walked outside to absorb sunlight. But I think above all what made him truly terrifying were his eyes. They were so incredibly and like my own, but at the same time, so completely different. There was a darkness behind them that was so easily masked that no normal person would be able to detect it. It sent chills down my back every time I glanced at his eyes.

"Ok, but what about Trey reading my facial expressions?" I asked.

"Trey should be the least of your worries," Elijah said. "By the way, why are you still with him?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I--It's because--he's my--I--" I stammered.

"You what?" he asked. "Love him?"

I felt my heart beat stop in my chest for a moment. This was the second time the concept of love was brought up in regards to Trey. I felt uncomfortable with the subject, partially because Elijah was the last person I would discuss matters of my feelings with, but mostly because I had no idea myself. I had no idea if I loved Trey. I had no idea what love was.

"What am I doing today?" I asked through gritted teeth, trying to change the subject. Elijah noticed my discomfort and smirked.

"You will be taught by Gianna today. She will teach you some new spells. Afterwards you will train some more," he replied. "Gerrard, if you wish you to be present with Caley while she undergoes her instruction, you may do so," Elijah added to Gerrard, who had been standing in the archway after dropping me off.

Gerrard nodded his head stiffly and Elijah smirked at something. I furrowed my brows in confusion. Gerrard had been acting different ever since he came to pick me up from my father's apartment. He seemed strangely distant, considering the happy note we had departed on. I wondered if someone found out about our kiss. I wondered if Elijah told him not to get too close to me.