Chapter 34

READ THE NOTE AT THE END! IT'S IMPORTANT!

Elijah threw the unconscious Long into the same prison his daughters were in.

"Tend to him," he ordered to two of the guards.

Then he turned to me, his blue eyes stormy with rage. I was in trouble.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You successfully captured Long, something we have been trying to do, and then you try to kill him?!" he yelled at me. I stood my ground, squaring my jaw. "You need to learn how to control your emotions, Caley," he said.

"He was talking about my mother!" I shouted back.

"And every time someone talks about your mother you're going to kill them? He was trying to provoke you! He was trying to distract you! You have no idea of the loss you could have cost us," he exclaimed.

I glared at him.

"I'm not going to apologize for what I did," I said.

Elijah narrowed his eyes at me.

"Get her out of my sight," he snapped at Gerrard, who was standing silently by. Gerrard stepped forward and took me by the arm. I shook him off and marched up the stairs myself.

"Caley, listen," Gerrard said, coming up behind me.

"Go away. I want to be alone," I said.

"Let me fix up your cheek," he said.

"No, I'll do it myself," I said.

"You don't know how," he replied. I glared at him and he gave me a look. I sighed aggravatedly and then sat on my bed.

"Fine," I huffed.

He went into the bathroom to mix a paste that would heal the scarring wound. While he did so, I went to my dresser to put my necklace back on. I had taken it off because I didn't want to be recognized wearing it. Immediately when the cool water stone touched the skin on my sternum plate, I felt a calming relief wash over me. Closing my eyes, I cleared my mind.

Gerrard called me into the bathroom and I sat up on the counter while he applied the thick paste. I hissed as the cool concoction touched my skin and burned. I smacked his hand away.

"What?!" he exclaimed.

"That stuff hurts!" I cried.

"That's how you know it's healing. Quit being a baby," he replied. I frowned and sat on my hands to keep from pushing him away again. I bit my lip as the burning sensation increased and tried to focus on Gerrard's face. His eyes were narrowed in concentration and he was biting the corner of his bottom lip. He had a few days' scruff on his face, which meant he was stressed or just extremely busy. His blue-grey eyes were unreadable, as always.

To distract from the burning sensation on my cheek, I took to looking at Gerrard's face. I realized that Gerrard was a lot more attractive than I initially thought. It was no wonder Isobel didn't like the fact that I was so close to him. As his fingers gently brushed my cheek, I also realized that Gerrard was really the only person I could trust. He knew everything about me, in both of my lives. I could tell him anything I needed to and I knew he would always listen.

He finished up and helped me off the counter.

"Let that set until it hardens. Then we'll take it off. It should be mostly healed underneath. You can put make-up over the scar to hide it when you go back," he said. I nodded and then stepped forward, putting my arms around his waist. He was taken aback at first and then he put his arms around me, too.