Chapter 27

I was distracted.

There was no other way to describe how I felt at the moment, except that. Distracted. Valenya's strange actions would not erase themselves from my mind. She had told me a prophecy. There was no other explanation as to what she had been saying. But was it my prophecy? Why tell me now? And why the hell was it about fishes?

After our trip back home and after we ate lunch, I managed to shake Trey off by offering to help Natalia with something around the house. She gave us two separate jobs: Trey had to find and clean the fancy china wear in the basement and I had to hang up the Christmas decorations in the rooms inside the house. This was a perfect opportunity for me to sort through my thoughts without worrying about Trey getting suspicious.

I pulled a wreath out of the box and went over the prophecy in my mind again. I kept repeating it over and over so that I wouldn’t forget it.

Two fishes swam in a stormy ocean.

Two fishes. Who could the two fishes be? If the prophecy was indeed about me, it could be that the two fishes represented people in my life. By the sound of it, the fishes seemed like they were a couple, which meant that they could be representing my mother and father or they could represent me and Trey.

If I was indeed right about the fishes being either of the two pairs, and the second part of that sentence was that the two fishes swam in a stormy ocean, then it could mean that the stormy ocean represented the world that the fishes inhabited. Of course, there is more than one ocean in the world, which could mean that there is more than one world that exists, like the world of magic and the non-magical world. The world, or ocean, that the fishes inhabit was stormy, which could mean that the world that the fishes live in is troubled or at war. If this was the case, it could represent the fact that the magical world was approaching the brink of war.

I sighed. That much I had figured out. The rest of the prophecy puzzled me. I went over the next parts again in my head.

One chosen, one astray.

What did that mean? Of the two that swam in the stormy ocean, one was chosen and the other veered off the right path. But what did it mean that one of the fish was chosen? Chosen for what? I let out an aggravated sigh and then yelped.

I looked down at my hand and realized that I had just stabbed myself with the thumbtack. I saw a tiny bubble of blood start to ooze out from the puncture and groaned. I whispered a healing spell and winced slightly as I felt the skin reseal over the wound. I remembered what Gianna had told me about healing spells.

“Healing a wound of any size is painful. It is easy to disrupt the balance of the human body, but to restore it is a painful endeavor at any level,” she had said.

After the dull throbbing subsided on my finger, I looked down at the freshly healed wound.

One chosen, one astray…

“Ugh, this is hopeless,” I groaned. I pinned the wreath onto the door of the living room and then sat on the ground, crossing my legs. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to clear my mind. I brought my hand up to the necklace that Trey had given me, feeling a calmness fall over me.

After a few moments, I heard the door open. I opened my eyes and looked up to see my father standing over me.

“Caley?” he asked.

“Dad?” I responded.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Umm, clearing my mind,” I answered, getting to my feet.