Chapter Nine

"Assalamu Alaykum,  Sultan are you in there?" came Sameer's voice
"Waalaykumus salaam Sameer, just give me a minute, I'm almost done. I came out after a minute or two.

"What was so urgent that you had to send for me this early in the morning and disturb my precious sleep?" He frowned and I laughed, oh how I loved provoking him

"Sorry man it's something really important as you were informed. I want to discuss something with you, I really need your advice on it and besides going back to sleep after Subhi Sallah prevents daily provision remember?" I grinned

"And what is so important to discuss "Yerima"" he said Yerima with air quotes.  He knew how much I hated him calling me that. He's my best friend for Allah's sake, a brother from another mother. There should be no such formalities between us.

"Dan Liman Imam's son" I fired back 
"Whatever " he replied with an eye roll, like a girl that he's not "So what's the so important discussion, let's get down with it "
"Let's go horse riding then, I will tell you on the way "

We met Batuul on our way out with Khairi following behind her, a tray of fruits and a mat in hand, obviously on their way to the garden.  I was in the middle of saying something when I saw her and oh I went speechless
"Yaya Sultan, Yaya Sameer,  good morning to you both " Batuul greeted us
"Good morning little sister where are you off to? "

"The garden, I don't want to miss it's cool serenity this morning and I also want to watch the sun rise " she said, dreamily spreading her arms out with eyes closed.

"Good morning Your Highness " I turned around and saw Khairi on her knees greeting, she looked so beautiful this morning , and it seems she gets more and more beautiful each time I see her. I quickly answered her and dismissed them. That was when I noticed that Sameer  has been quiet all the while, just smiling at only God knows what, well I decided not to ask, at least not yet.

"Sultan we have been riding for half an hour now and you haven't said anything yet, you know how curious I can get with things so out with it man " silence "Sultan I have things to do, I will take my leave if you don't speak up right now " silence " Okay then, bye"

"Sameer now " I spoke in time before he rode away. I heaved a sign before I began and decided to say what's been giving me sleepless nights of late "I think I am in love"

He turned around and looked at me in disbelief
"ytou, in love, who's the unfortunate girl?"

I eyed him but dismissed his comment "Someone in the palace"

"In the palace? Who could that be" and this time around, I was certain that what I saw in his eyes were shock and fear.
"Stop freaking out Sameer, you were supposed to calm me down and not the reverse

"You saw Batuul when we were coming out right?"

"What,  Batuul?  you're in love with her?"

"What? No no, she is my kid sister for crying out loud, it's the girl that was with her, Khairi one of the maids"

"A maid? " he asked, though I could see him slowly calming down.

"Yes Sameer,  a maid"

"But you are a Prince, you shou..."

"Ooh Sameer" I put my hand on his shoulder "Don't talk like some one that is not learned, you of all people know that in Islam even the lowest of women is equal to a king in marriage, he can marry her and raise her to his standard right" I explained 

"I know, but will His Highness be convinced, will he not be disappointed?" he asked worriedly

"Now you're getting me discouraged instead of encouraging me, I called you out here to seek for your advice and of course your solidarity" I was getting frustrated by now, he hived a sign and said

"In Sha Allah Sultan you have my support in whatever step you want to take so far it's halal and my advice to you is this, if you truly love her and want to take it to the next level then fight for your love no matter what, because you know there will be controversies along the way, do not let anyone  discourage you.  Hope you understand?"

"I do, thank you very much " he shrugged and then said

"One more thing,  I think you should tell His Highness first, you know seek for his approval before taking any step. By the way do you know her Walliyy marriage guardian?"

"She doesn't have anybody, Abba usually gives the children from the orphanage out in marriage"

"That will even be easier then, best of luck my friend.  Let's have a race "  and before I could say anything,  he rode off leaving me unprepared.