Chapter 3: Eye To Eye

Lauren's POV:

February 20, 2015

The quiet ride to her house took us barely twenty minutes. No words were exchanged. The atmosphere was lightly tensed and I have a feeling my mixed signals are to blame for that. She seems frustrated about the fact that I ditched every single question of hers. If I'm being totally honest I am not capable of answering her questions. I don't even have the slightest idea what I'm doing myself.

I agree. I don't act like a normal stereotypical teenager but on the other side I am not a normal stereotypical teenager. I am an orphan, my parents got murdered in front of my own eyes. I got the burden of being a werewolf forced onto me in the same night. I had to take care of myself with the sweet age of fifteen.

I can't just walk around and make friends, invite them to my house for sleepovers or to have movie dates. Being a werewolf is not just all about having super cool abilities it has a lot to do with taking on responsibilities, the responsibility to keep the existence of my kind hidden from prying human eyes. Hiding my true identity was never a real issue until this brown eyed girl walked through the bright orange colored doors of my high school.

I had a concept and a reputation which I stuck to over the last few years, no slip ups, no exceptions, no excuses. She is challenging me in a way. I don't know if she's even aware of it. Despite the fact if she does it on purpose or not I just don't know quite yet if I like the way she makes me consider that there are also other opportunities out there. I have no clue how she does it. I just met her this morning but her simple presence already triggers many conflicted emotions within myself. I never met a person I know so little which has such a big influence on me.

Offering me a soft smile she reaches for the handle of the passenger door. I expected her to jump out of the car to flee the awkward tension as fast as her short legs could carry her but she surprised me yet again when she hesitated before slowly turning in her seat to look at me.

"Would you might want to come in?" she asks me shyly. She looked shortly into my eyes before shifting her eyes back to the collar of my leather jacket. Her request was unexpected to me. I didn't quite treat her like a gentlewoman should do and her shyness around me is quite obvious but she still asked me to accompany her. A part of me wants to say no but my mouth works faster than my mind.

"Sure, why not."

I exit the black SUV in a hurry to rush around it. She was pretty unsteady when I got her into the car, I guess it's a consequence of the head injury. She smiles shyly up at me and mumbles a small 'thank you' when I help her out of the car. Grabbing her brown book bag from the backseat I swing it over my shoulder before following her closely to the black front door.

She walks in front of me, the moment she sets her white sneaker onto the first step I see how it slips away because the surface was covered by a thin layer of ice. I'm standing right behind her so the moment her petite figure falls backward I hold my arms out and catch her right before her back has the chance to collide with the hard tar.

It feels like time froze. Maybe I've watched too many romantic movies but it really feels like every cliché they try to sell you. We're standing here in front of the house of the petite girl I just met. Thick snowflakes continue to cover our environment. Deep brown eyes are met by bright green ones, not a care in the world is running through my mind. I haven't felt this content within the last four years. Her bag is hanging loosely off my left shoulder, she is laying bridal style in my arms, her delicate hands are clutching onto my biceps trying to steady herself. Snowflakes are tangling themselves into dark curls.

When I look deep into her dark eyes I can see gold light reflecting off her dilated pupils. She looks in amazement up at me and whispers "Your eye color changed again. I-It's beautiful. How do you do that?"