Chapter 20: Consequences

Lauren's POV:

June 13, 2015

'Don't be selfish Lauren'

'Sacrifice the most valuable part of yourself'

'After that the new generation will live on.'

'Don't be selfish Lauren'

'Sacrifice the most valuable part of yourself'

'If there are no blood relatives left to take over, then our race is irreversible extinct.'

'Don't be selfish Lauren'

'Sacrifice the most valuable part of yourself'

'Save the ones you love.'

'DON'T BE SELFISH LAUREN'

'SACRIFICE THE MOST VALUABLE PART OF YOURSELF'

Sitting up straight in the passenger seat of my own car I rub my eyes tired, trying to get rid of the exhaustion of the few hours. Normani thought it would be a good idea for me to get some rest, this way I could be more concentrated when I had to face Markus and get Camila out of her captivator's hands.

I held the artifact in my left hand, running my thumb up and down the sharp blade of the black dagger. As numb as I feel I didn't even realize that I actually injured myself until I see dark droplets running down the pale skin of my hand. I turn my hand over, black eyes following the equally dark liquid until it crosses my wedding ring, painting the shiny silver metal in its heavy color. Camila was the one to put it on my finger, along to the promise to stay by my side for the rest of our lives. The blood was quickly washed off by salty tears.

As Dinah steered the black car through the heavy terrain, Normani kept an eye from her position on the backseat of the vehicle on the dagger. Every few kilometers she gave Dinah directions where to go. The Light of the artifact leading us the way just like my mother prophesied. The second the glim of the moonlike light got slightly weaker we changed our route immediately. I was on edge, at first I couldn't keep my eyes off the clock, anxiously counting down the seconds I had left to save my wife's life but at some point I gave up on checking it.

Never has the human's invented concept of time ever moved by this fast and checking the time made things even more stressful for my already sore heart. I don't know how much time we've got left but apparently, like the dark haired girl in the backseat explained just a few minutes ago, we are pretty close to our destination since the light didn't change its intensity in a while. My mind feels so blank but also full at the same time. I was still trying to figure out what to do about the whole situation. How could I save the brown eyed girl but also try to save my ancestors legacy. My mother made it clear, I had to sacrifice the most value part of me. A part of me knows exactly what I had to do and just thinking of it made me feel like throwing up.

Was this the reason my mother never had a significant other? Since I met my mother's most faithful pack members I learned a lot about my biological mother and the way she lived. As long as the other two women know there has never been anybody by my mother's side. Is an alpha's most value part their mate? Did all my ancestors had to carry the same burden? Sacrifice their other half and give away their mate just to keep our kind on existing? Is the moon Goddess seriously this cruel?

When the nausea reached its final level I rolled hurriedly down the side window, leaning out of the speeding car to empty my stomach. I didn't even release a lot of stomach contents besides a lot of gastric acid since I didn't eat in a while. The last proper meal I had was at the bar, when I took Camila out to our first and only real date. When I'm eventually done and the painful cramping of my stomach let up I closed the window and cleaned my mouth a bit with the sleeve of my shirt.