Chapter 11: Misery

Lauren's POV:

March 01, 2015

It seems like the adrenaline which was previously pumping through the smaller girls veins started wearing off. It has been the second time within the last few minutes that Camila tried to cover up her yawn. We were still situated in her backyard but we decided to move toward our usual spot on the porch swing, when the brunette asked me to join her. The rifle was secured and out of reach, laying beside the backdoor while the brunette cuddle into my side to keep herself warm. She liked to play and fiddle with my 'fluffy fur' like she called it.

It didn't seem to be difficult for her, the fact that I turned out to be Mr. Wolf, she just claimed it was embarrassing when she gushed over her classmate Lauren when I was actually the one listening. Well there was someone glad she didn't tell Mr. Wolf that much about the black haired girl. When Camila yawned the third time I decided to force her to go to bed, she didn't make any attempt to leave my side but it was really cold out here and the brunette seemed very weak, low on energy.

I nudge her cheek carefully with my wet snout and she shrieks immediately away, seems like she didn't see it coming. "EW Lauren you have some snot on your nose. You don't need to rub it into my face." She hurriedly rubs it off her cheek but I could see how she held back a laugh, she does like to act all annoyed but actually she was just fooling around. I pull my head away and nod my head into the direction of her back door before I get up from my sitting position, taking care that Camila notices my movement and she won't fall over, since she was previously leaned into my side.

She gets off the swinging wood bench before she wraps her arms around her torso, a reflex to keep her body warmth close to her upper body. She steps slowly over and reaches for the silver doorknob of her backdoor. My job is done, I look one last time into her dark eyes as a silent goodbye before I turn around and take the few steps down the porch, making my way over to pick up my clothes before I have to leave her. Her hesitant voice stops me.

"Lo?"

I stop in my tracks and turn around, the brunette looked back at me, her previous expression changed to one of nervousness.

"W-Would you like to stay? I don't feel safe with whoever is out there and killed the hunter."

Camila's POV:

I wasn't lying when I asked her to stay. I was scared. I mean a murderer or wild animal was running around out there and slaughting other beings. The whole thought is even more terrifying when I think of the fact that the hunter had a weapon. He could have defended himself easily but he didn't or couldn't. A cold shiver runs down my spine and I wrap my arms tighter around myself while I stare at my favorite pair of golden eyes, beaming through the pitch black darkness. Her fur was so dark that you could barely see her but those eyes are basically glowing.

I don't want to be alone, but not just out of fear of the monsters out there. I was afraid of Lauren's demons. That the second we part she cuts me out again. I know it sounds pathetic to think by chaining myself to the athletic girl, that she wouldn't shut me out. I know we will have to part sometime but I want to find out more about her. On the side maybe she will also wrap her head around the fact that I'm here for her and that she can trust me enough to let me be a part of her life.

The dark features of the werewolf girl were moving when she turned back around to continue her walk into the direction of the woods, picking up her clothes in the process. I feel my heavy heart sinking inside my tensed chest, before I turn back toward the door, pushing back my disappointment and turning the door handle. I nearly shut the door when I remembered the rifle. I'm not paranoid but I would never let a deadly weapon lay openly beside my backdoor. It just feels like an invitation to every psychopath 'Please come in and kill me, I even got a rifle for you so you don't even need to bring your own.' I shake my head and pick it up carefully before I make my way inside, making sure to lock the backdoor properly.