Chapter 13: Broken Family

Lauren's POV:

March 04, 2015

It should have been a special day. Camila's eighteenth birthday should have been carefree, mesmerizing and tons of fun with her parents. A light dinner homecooked by her mother, perhaps some presents and a soothing glass of wine on the side. A day the brown eyed girl would like to look back onto and smile while she would think back to the day she officially became an adult in the eyes of our law system. Looking back onto the previous day it was indeed a mesmerizing birthday, but not for the right reasons. Instead of laughter and smiles it ended with a lot of painful words and shouting, crashed furniture and a broken girl that's currently laying in my arms, balling her eyes out while clinging to my shirt, desperately searching for a source of comfort.

The night prior to her birthday ended sweet and not problematic like the following day. After I showered, changed my clothes and made sure to pack a bag I returned to the brunette's house. I tried to keep my word and to be back before she finished but seemed like she was really worn out. When I silently entered her room, I could see the sleeping girl buried underneath her heavy sheets. I fought back the laughter which wanted to escape my chapped lips before I snuck my way over to her side, cuddling up behind her. Despite her deep sleeping habit I made sure to move carefully so I wouldn't disturb her rest.

The next day started off good, the turning point when her beautiful birthday transformed into a disaster was in the early evening, when we were seated at a loaded dining table in the Cabello's living room. Everyone until then seemed to be happy and cheerful until I said something wrong.

March 03, 2015 | Camila's Birthday

I woke up a while ago when Camila's parents entered the house. They are currently roaming around the kitchen, her mother probably preparing things for today's birthday. I try to keep myself busy by switching between observing Camila's sleeping face or occasionally her bedroom ceiling. It's close to nine in the morning when I overhear her parents and how they start setting up a surprise breakfast for Camz. They are chatting about the present Sinuhe, Camila's mother got for their oldest child. I hope they stop talking about her present soon, I don't want the brown eyed girl to overhear them and spoil her own surprise.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts and look down, smiling brightly when I feel Camila slightly shifting on top of me. The short Latina stretches out her arms, before she tightens them again around my middle, cuddling up closer to me. She presses her face deeper into my neck, brushing with her cold nose against my heated skin.

"Good morning Lo"

Her soft rasp triggers a swarm of butterflies to go off at the pit of my stomach. I press a soft kiss to her hair before whispering "Happy birthday Camzi"

She pulls away and beams at me with her dark chocolate eyes. I've never really been a sucker for brown eyes until I looked at the ones of Karla Camila Cabello.

"I'm legal"

"Yes, you are my love"

She just wanted to speak up when she stops herself at the sound of her parents' footsteps. When we hear them climbing the very first steps of the old wooden staircase, she looks at me with a shocked expression before she pushes me out of her bed. Again. I plop to the floor with a loud thump while she whispers at me with slight panic displayed in her tone "You have to hide. They don't know that I have a girlfriend, who also shared a bed with me last night. They are totally going to kill me if they see you in my bed."

I shake my head at her words and rub my butt to sooth the pain a bit before I follow her request. I rush soundlessly over to her balcony and slide open the glass door to climb onto the side roof to hide away from them. The room door cracks open not even ten seconds later.