Chapter 16: My Past (2/2)

~~~Kriss' Point of View~~~

I woke up the next morning greeted by the sunlight pouring in from my balcony windows. I decided to walk out to the balcony to get a breath of fresh air. I just needed to relax for a bit.

I was greeted with the cold January breeze and glistening white snow upon the grass of the palace yard. I couldn't help but think back to my past, again.

10 years ago...

Papa just left for his business trip this morning. When he went out for some aarons a week ago, Papa bought us some new clothes, food, and some extra fun stuff for me and Alexander. Today is also the day of the passing of mother.

I would always wonder when Papa would come home. He never misses this day.

"Hey Alex?" I asked my older brother. 'Alex' is short for 'Alexander'. "When do you think Papa will come back?" 

"He'll never come back. If he does, he'll be very lucky." Alex replied then walked upstairs to his room.

A week has passed and Papa still has not come home yet. I still miss him, but I hold onto the hope that he'll be bakc soon.

Another week passed by. I've been starting to get really worried. I cried myself to sleep one night while holding my pink bunny, Mr. Flopsy closely to me. Papa got that for me on my birthday a few month ago. I really love Mr. Flopsy. We do almost anything together.

Two full months have passed by. I've become very worried, but I still have that little hope that Papa will come back.

I'm currently watching TV when all of a sudden The Report had come on. Brother was in the kitchen so I asked him what this is. I saw a man and a woman dressed up very fine with shiny accessories. The man, I guess was the king, looked very stern, while the woman, I guess who's the Queen, looked very kind and warm.

The king talked about stock market and all that stuff that I barely understood, when he was about to make the next announcement, there was a loud knock on the door. Alexander told me to stay here while he answers the door.

"20 courageous palace guard men died last night while defending the palace from the Southern Rebels." the king explained. "They did not die in vain. If it weren't for them and the other men who fought bravely, I,my wife, Queen Amberly, and my son, Prince Maxon, would not be here today." I could barely make out the conversation that was going on with my brother and whoever else that was.

"I'm sorry...father...died...night...rebels." That was all I could make out of what the unfamiliar voice had said and I turned my attention back to the TV.

"This morning, we sent out letters to the families of which the guards belonged to. We hope to get through this time of grief and mourning. That is all for now. Official updates will be on Friday, in three days." The king explained then the TV screen switched back to it's normal program.

I heard the door close and the sound of my brother's footsteps coming closer. I turned the TV off and looked at my brother with lost eyes.

"Brother?" I asked softly. "Were those the men that the King talked about on TV?"

"Yes, they are." he replied softly. "Do you also know what today is?" I nodded my head silently. I got up and went quickly to my brother and hugged him wiht all my might.

"Why d-did Papa have to d-die?" I asked, my voice stuttering as I felt tears threatening to spill.

"It's because of the King himself. He shouldn't have died." Alex replied, rubbing my back.

"What do we do now?" I asked, starting to somewhat calm down.

"The day before he left, Papa told me to take you and I to the Bayars' house and have them take care of us." Alex explained. "Pack everything you need and want to bring. You can't bring everything though. We'll get that stuff later." I just nodded my head and went upstairs to start packing, I cried while doing so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a loud knock on my door. I quickly wiped the tears that were already falling down from my face.

I opened the door to the sight of my brother. He's wearing all black today and he'll have to tomorrow as well.

"Hey Alexander." I said with a hoarse voice. I embraced him in a hug, let him inside, and closed the door.

"How are  you feeling sis?" Alex asked.

"I don't know." I replied. "I hate this day and the next day to come so much. How come you're not wearing your uniform?"

"I asked the General and he said it was fine. I can't believe it's already been 10 years. It felt like it was yesterday." Alex replied.

"I know. I don't know what I'll do today. We could visit our parents' graves, but I don't know if you can since you basically work 24 hours a day. Plus, I have to keep wedding planning and keep an eye out for America., which are all very tiring." I explained then flopped down on my bed.

"You could ask for two days off. While we're gone, we can have our other spy look out for America and have them contact us if anything is suspicious." he suggested.

"I guess we can do that." I replied. "You know what else I just realized?"

"The day of the wedding marks 8 years of becoming a Southern Rebel. It's just so much going on in one month." Alex replied. "I'm one of the guards that were selected for the security at the wedding."

I just nodded my head then asked quietly, "So, when will the attack happen?"

"I sent word this morning to our base camp." Alex stated. "If everything goes well, it will happen by next week. Probably at night Monday or Tuesday. I'll tell you the exact information once everything is in place."

I smiled and said, "You know, I'm glad to have you as my right hand man and brother. I don't know what I would do without you. You're my only family."

"I wouldn't know what to do without you either. Ever since dad led the attack on the Palace 10 years ago and died, I was afraid I was going to lose you." Alex explained.

"Me too." I said. "I can't believe he went undercover in the Palace as a guard, especially when there are background checks. That's why I was so worried when you joined the guards about a year ago."

"Well, everything is alright for now. Once we get our revenge and succeed then you can do whatever you want." Alex assured. "Do you still have Papa's necklace?" 

I took a deep breath and responded, "Yeah. I wear it almost everywhere I go. This and mom's jewelry are the very few things we have left of them."

"Well, do you want to go and asked Maxon for permission to leave the Palace? It would be also a good chance to see if we can communicate with our base camp." Alex asked and suggested.

"Yeah." I replied. "That would be great. If he asks why you're comming, just say it'll be for security reasons blah, blah, blah, or that you're my cousin and explain and so on. Just let me get ready first. Meet me after breakfast in the Dining Hall so we can ask."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The Nightcore MV is from YouTube. The song is, 'If You Could See Me Now' by The Script. Nightcore is basically a faster, normally a higher pitched version of a song. I think the version where it's slower and has a deeper pitch is called 'Daycore'. I'm not sure because I've only heard of it a few times.