Chapter 18: Midnight(1/2)

~~~America's Point of View~~~  

It's been a day and two weeks since I've been at the palace, currently Monday afternoon. The Report Friday was surprisingly not all that bad uncomfortable. I mean, it was a little bit, but only when Celeste and I had to answer or say something about the Royal Wedding in two weeks.

For the past few days, everything seemed kind of quiet. No threats from Kriss, yet. August told me their spies have yet got any information and I occasionally hanged out with Aspen during his spare time. I have this odd and peculiar feeling inside when I see him now. I know what it is, but I can't help but deny it. My heart says one thing, but my mind says another. Which one should I trust? 

Maxon has tried talking and apologizing to me a few times, but after his third try, he stopped. It's not like him to do that, but I guess he's busy. I have very seldom seen the King and Queen besides The Report and meal time.

Right now, I'm sitting at a coffee table after dinner reading a book. I know it's only the middle of the first cold week of January, but I don't mind it much as long as I have a sweater. The Sun is slowly disappearing, allowing the snow to harden once more.

For some reason, I got really sleepy and tired. I know I shouldn't sleep out here because I'll get sick, but I couldn't help it, sleep had taken over.

+ + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + +

When I came to, I heard slightly muffled sirens from inside the palace. I immediately ran back into my room and locked the balcony shut. I looked at the clock and it read exactly midnight. It had just turned early Tuesday morning.

Fear and realization coursed through me. 

This is the attack that Kriss and her spy talked about the night Princess Nicoletta came. What about August and Georgia? Aspen, Celeste, my maids? Did they make it to safety? Of course Aspen couldn't make it to safety! He's a guard! Keep it together AMerica! You better than this! I thought, while frantically trying to find the doorway through the darkness. 

I think I tripped and knock over a few books, plus a very expensive lamp until I reached the door. I opened the door, closed it, and ran to find the person I'm most worried about.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨    

I've been running around desperately shouting his name through the chaos of people running around in the palace for a long time now. He's nowhere to be seen. 

Should I go back the way I came? I thought. I realized the hall I was in was towards the Royal Library and I have no idea where the closest safe room is. I ran around the corner and was immediately stopped by a man wearing a red bandana and a guard's uniform and cool metal to my forehead.

I just stood there petrified and stayed silent for the shock.

"Well isn't it America. The girl that wants to ruin our plans. Well you know what? That'll never happen because I'll end you here." the man said in a sinister tone. I just gulped and didn't move. If I did move, I might be killed. I can't have him kill me. If he does, the Kingdom and all it's people will crumble apart till there's nothing left. I can't let that happen. I have to move.

The rebel's gun clicked, signaling that it's ready to shoot at its victim. Right after he said 'Die', I heard a familiar voice shout, "STOP!!!" I turned around and saw it was Aspen. I ran to him and hugged him. He held me by his side protectively, an arm around my waist. 

I just kept looking at Aspen as the two exchanged a few words. Al of a sudden, I heard a gun go off. Aspen collapsed in my arms as I caught him. I looked at the rebel and he's lying on the floor. I guess he's dead.

"NO NO NO!!!" I screamed. Tears fell down rapidly down my face like a flood. I shouted for help as I saw blood seeping through his uniform towards the right of his chest. No! He can't die! I need him!

As I kept shouting for help, I felt a warm hand caress my cheek.

"Mer," Aspen whispered. "It's okay. Everything will be okay-" he was interrupted by a few coughs, but continued. "I'm okay. Don't worry."

"No! Everything's not okay!" I strongly denied. Y-you're going to d-die if someone can't f-find us soon!" My blurry vision was cleared by Aspen's hand wiping them away.

"I should go find someone." I said. As I was about to get up, Aspen grabbed my wrist, causing me to sit back down.

"You can't." he whispered. "It's too dangerous." My heart is aching so much right now. Aspen, my first love, tree house dates whom I shared with, was shot right in front of my eyes.

Memories. Happy delicate memories swarmed my mind of me and him. Nothing can replace that. If he dies, I don't know what I'll do.

"W-well," I started to say while stuttering. "W-what do we d-do then?" My voice was still wavering, tears falling like rain.

"Can you try and help me up? I know where the nearest safe room is. The only thing is, it's like five minutes away, but since you're supporting me, it'll take longer." Aspen explained.

"That's okay. Here." I replied then helped him stand up. It was a lot harder than I had thought,  but Aspen somehow managed to get his left arm around my shoulder. It's difficult walking since Aspen can barely do himself so it feels like a bunch of dead weight.

We managed to turn a corner a few minutes later until we ran into a guard. I recognised this one.

"Lady America! What seems to be the problem!?" the officer asked worriedly then went to Aspen's right side and put his arm over his shoulder.

"Officer Woodwork!" I exclaimed. " Aspen got shot and I don't know how much longer he'll survive and how much longer it'll take to get to a safe room."

By the time we reached the safe room, everyone was in there and that's when I realised we were in the Royal Family's safe room. I had no idea. I was so There was absolutely no sign of Kirss. She might be in a different safe room.

The room was dead silent while Woodwork helped me lay Aspen down on a bed.

"He can't be like this much longer. He's losing a ton of blood." I said while looking at the blood on my hands and clothing then to Woodwork and Aspen, avoiding eye contact with Maxon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~