Chapter 17: Lunch Time

~~~America's Point of View~~~  

It's been a week and a half out of the month that I'll be at the palace. Kriss is supposed to be back today from her visit to home for her parents' death anniversaries. Princess Nicoletta left yesterday and today is Friday, the day of The Report. For some reason, Celeste and I have to be on it, again. I don't really want to, but I don't know if I'll feign being sick.

I asked August and Georgia if they heard anything back from their spies and they said yes this morning. Georgia said there's nothing really suspicious going on. They see the normal things they do, prepare for attacks at random places. August said he's worried because what they're planning for may be aimed towards the palace, but the spy couldn't get enough information to confirm that.

That explanation gave me even more worry. We have to find Kriss' spy as soon as possible. I know there's a lot of of risk in doing that, but I need to stop them. For my loved ones, and the whole Kingdom, even when I hate King Clarkson so much, I have to try and save everyone.

It's currently lunch time at the Palace and Aspen is actually on his lunch break, so he decided to be here, with me. Things feel surprisingly, very little of awkwardness. I don't know why, but it just does. Aspen brought his lunch too. It's just a sandwich, fruit, cheese, one cookie, and water.

We talked about our pasts again and what's been going on with Kriss. I mentioned what August and Georgia told me this morning. Aspen said he wish he could tell the General or Maxon, but he's afraid that he'll get accused of being a Southern Rebel by the General and having Maxon talk to me about what he said. He said he didn't want me to go through emotional suffering, again from the cause of Maxon.

"So," I started to say. "Have you noticed any weird actions or behavior from a guard, any guard?"

"Not that I know of. I really don't pay attention to that unless I do because I somewhat know them." Aspen replied.

I started to say something, but didn't. 

I opened my mouth back up and said, "Could you keep an eye out for any suspicious activity on anyone or everybody?"

"I will." he replied. "I'll try not to act suspicious because any of the palace employees could be a Southern Spy. I'm still surprised that August and Georgia said that their spies hadn't found anything."

"I know right? I think they were their top spies too." I mentioned. "Maybe Kriss or her spy somehow informed their base camp about me, especially when they're planning an attack on the palace. If they're doing that, they wouldn't try to make it look as normal as possible to the public."

"Yeah. If they don't want their plans ruined, they have to be careful." Aspen agreed. We continued to talk for a bit until Aspen had to leave shortly after.

"Well, I'll see you, I guess, whenever." Aspen stated.

I let out a small giggle and said, "I guess I'll see you whenever too." We had kind of an awkward hug that lasted for a few minutes then pulled away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story is dedicated to klflynn because she's the winner of the Writer/Follower of the Week(9-5-16 to 9-12-16)! Please check out her stories and her Roleplay(s)! They're really amazing!