in which unrequited love is a lonely thing

"Fix You - Coldplay"

"When you love someone, but it goes to waste."

~

It was time. 8pm. Time for the game. I'd drunk enough of the bourbon to feel better about the situation. Enough to at least distract myself.

Walking downstairs a swarm of people surrounded me.
"Are you okay Care?" Matt asked placing a comforting hand on my arm.
"Klaus wouldn't tell us what happened." Bonnie stated.
"Guys please. Just leave it honestly. I'm fineeee." I sung, walking to the sofa.
"Caroline are you drunk?" Stefan asked, a concerned look spreading through the group of people like a wave.
"I had a bit of bourbon. What's the problem? I'm not drunk. And you're not my mom." I joked plopping down between Kol and Rebekah. Thankfully, Katherine strolled in, like usual, wearing close to nothing, saving me from another storm of questions.
"Today we're playing Never Have I Ever." She clapped. The entire of the coffee table had been covered with shots of different vodka flavours. "Shall we start?" She asked clasping her hands together.

After everyone had settled Damon asked the first question. "Never have I ever had a dirty thought about someone in this room." Everyone drunk.
"Bonnie?" Elena laughed.
"What? Am I not allowed to have sexual thoughts?" She questioned, defending herself.
"Who's the pre-pubescent teen now?" Kol slyly asked putting an arm around her. I watched her freeze up before relaxing into it. Interesting.

"Never have I ever had sex with someone in this room." Kol looked around the room carefully while asking this question. Everyone drunk but Bonnie and Kol.
"Caroline? You have?" Bonnie looked shocked.
"Bonnie? I went out with Matt. Duh." I saved myself from a very tricky situation.
"Um we never had sex Caroline." Matt laughed. Crap.
"We didn't?" I tried my hardest to look innocent but I knew everyone was thinking the same thing.
"And Klaus why did you drink?" Rebekah asked putting two and two together.
"No you didn't!" Kol shouted looking between the two of us.
"Yeah we did." I smirked the alcohol finally taking away my filter for words. "Now get over it. I'll answer any questions later." I looked over to Klaus for the first time that evening and he looked surprisingly sad. "Unless Klaus doesn't want me to say anything."
"This is getting very awkward." Katherine interrupted before Klaus could answer.

"Never have I ever had sex with a Salvatore brother." She laughed very loud before taking two shots. Then Elena and Rebekah followed taking a shot each. I hesitated before taking one. Very ashamed of myself I put my head down. Most people knew the story so no one asked but I glanced at Klaus for a second. A look of anger and murder flew across his face before he relaxed.

"Never have I ever had a threesome." I say truthfully. Kol, Klaus and Damon all drank. "Well I'm not shocked about that." I say flashing my eyes between them, not lingering on them for too long.
The next few questions were pretty boring and I only drank for a couple of them until Bonnie switches it up and says: "I am in love right now." I watch as Elena and Damon take a shot and share a kiss.
Bonnie and Kol both drink half a shot giving me a weird feeling.
Rebekah drinks and Matt hesitates for a bit before drinking as well, I notice he avoids her stare. I feel you right now Matty Blue Eyes. I've always felt bad about their relationship since they are both in love with each other but Matt knows a relationship with a vampire doesn't end well.
Stefan doesn't drink but Katherine does.
I stare at Klaus and he stares back. I drink. Oh god. What am I doing? He drinks. Wait what? Before I could question it a commotion started. It was Hayley and Elijah.

"Really Elijah?" She looks deadly and drops her empty shot glass. His was still full. Before he could say anything she had ran out into the hallway away from our prying eyes. Elijah stopped for a second before quickly following her. The rest of us looked around before running to the door to watch the scene.
"Hayley, wait, please!" He called, stopping her.
"What? What could you possibly say? I just drank that I loved you and you couldn't even look me in the eyes when you put your glass down." She swallowed and I could see tears appearing in her eyes. As much as I didn't like Hayley I felt bad for her, I'd had my fair share of bad relationships as well.
"This is getting interesting." Katherine whispered before Stefan slammed a hand on her mouth.
"I can explain Hayley trust m-" Hayley cut Elijah off.
"Ok. Explain then." She looked at him with eyes of fire.
"Hayley. The first time I told you I loved you I wanted it to be on a date, or when we were staring into each others eyes. Not during a stupid game saying it with alcohol." Hayley looked speechless, obviously embarrassed "I love you Hayley. Of course I love you how could you think I didn't?" He finished holding her face in his hands.
"I'm so sor-" He cut her off by smashing his lips into hers. At first she was shocked then she kissed him back. After a few seconds they turned to us and we all panicked and ducked behind the doorframe.
"If you don't mind, Hayley and I will miss out the rest of this game." Elijah called and I heard them walk away and upstairs.
"How adorable." Klaus said sarcastically before strolling back to his place.
"Yes, it is Klaus. Don't be so sour." I spat back and sat down opposite him. He glared at me, then his expression softened and I could see sadness laced within his stare.

Everyone sat back down and we continued the game.
"Never have I ever killed someone." Elena said and the only people who didn't drink were Bonnie and Matt.
"Ironic how all the vampires drunk isn't it?" Matt spat, obviously still salty.

"Never have I ever been in love with a human." Katherine suspiciously said. I was wondering the same, had Klaus or Kol ever loved someone human. Everyone drunk but Kol.
"Sorry guys, I've loved vampires and witches but I've never been in love with a human." He admitted.
"Come on, you've been alive for a thousand years and you're telling us you've never loved one human?" Elena questioned leaning back in her seat.
"I've fancied them. Yes. But love is a very strong thing. I've never felt it with a human." He took another shot for the fun of it before we continued.

We continued for another few hours before we all plodded off to bed. I was last to leave and I noticed Klaus hang back. He looked as if he was going to say something but he closed his mouth quickly and ran off upstairs.

I fell asleep on the couch thinking about when Klaus had taken the shot. Had he been lying at my house? Maybe he just didn't know how he felt? Or what if during his time in New Orleans he had fallen in love with someone else? I felt as if a weight had been dropped in my stomach and I lay down, curling my legs up underneath me. I stared ahead of me for who knows how long before my tiredness suffocated me and I fell asleep, having very uncomfortable thoughts.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N

Hey guys! Ok thank you so much for over 100 reads in less then a week, I'm pretty sure that how long it's been. That seems like crazy amounts to me! Please continue to leave feedback, comments and votes would be really helpful just so I can know if you like it so far. Also, a tiny bit of self promotion, I have two other books up on my account and one of them I really want to know if I should keep going with it. So please check those out and here's another thank you!

<3